FIFTEEN

REYNA

Sometimes, I think my dad enjoys it when I'm uncomfortable. It may be unintentional but it never fails to do its work.

Then again, I don't talk to him freely like I used to, so he's resorted to summoning me to his office. Like some high school principal who wants to know how his student is fairing in the school. In this case, it's to inquire about whether or not I'm close to losing it.

I'm sitting in his office, hands folded in my lap as I listen to him argue with someone on the phone. There's a crease between his eyes when he frowns and his eyes keep darting to me. I think he's worried I'll stand up and leave. I've certainly contemplated it but I know he'll not stop until we've had this talk, so I'm going to sit here until we've gotten it over with.

"We'll go over the details at the meeting and maybe we'll reach a consensus," dad says into the phone. "Yes, I talked to Carl and he's on board with it. The prototypes will be ready by March."

"I'll call you back later." He hangs up and focuses on me. "Reyna."

I keep my voice leveled and cool. "Dad."

As expected, the barrage of questions begins.

"How are you? Are you okay? Do you need anything?"

"No, I'm good. I'm. . ." I search for a neutral word. "Comfortable."

He runs a hand over his face, a clear sign that having this talk is just as uncomfortable to him as it is to me.

"Listen, Reyna. . ." he starts. "I know we're still on shaky terms but I want you to know that you can come to me if you have any problem."

Shaky terms doesn't cover the hostile tension in this house and he's got some nerve telling me that I should come to him when I have a problem.

"I don't have any problem."

"You're doing okay in school?"

"Yeah."

"You need some money? I know what I gave you last time wasn't—"

"Honey pie!"

Think of the devil, and she actually appears. Dressed in a pink summer dress, Sophia enters the room. Sleek wedges adorn her feet and a big white sunhat covers her head.

"Sophia." Dad accepts the air-kiss she gives to his cheek.

Sophia's eyes land on me and she doesn't mask her displeasure as she speaks, "Reyna. Hope I'm not interrupting."

"No. I was just leaving." I stand up, ready to leave this uncomfortable situation altogether but Sophia has other plans. She places a hand on my shoulder, staving off my retreat.

"Actually, it's perfect that I found you here. I was thinking that the three of us could go out and have dinner at this seafood restaurant I discovered in Soho."

"That sounds good. Reyna, you'll come with us?" The hopeful tone in his voice almost makes me reconsider. It's not like I'm some cold-hearted human being. He's still my dad regardless of everything.

"I'll pass. I've got to finish up some homework."

I push past her, anxious to get out of here as fast as I can. I've barely closed the door when I hear Sophia say,

"Andrew. Don't be sad."

"I've tried everything and I'm not making any progress with her," is dad's response.

"She's a teenager. You know how angsty they can be when they want to."

"This is not teenage angst. I know my daughter and I can definitely tell something's wrong with her."