Chapitre I : Arrivée

Versailles, 1685 ~ Le Palais de Versailles

It was not until Marie stood in the palace courtyard that the reality of her situation swept over her like a wave. Had it not been for Hortense clinging to to her right arm, Marie was fairly certain that falling faint was a distinct and ever-present possibility.

"Fear not, my love," Hortense whispered, ever the perceptive younger sister. "I am under his protection. We are safe here."

Marie nodded, though the words of her companion helped little. Even this far away from Rome, she could feel the hot, accusing breath of Lorenzo down the back of her neck. His black eyes, the ones that she had once admittedly believed she could love, now haunted her every movement. Marie longed to return home, if not simply for the life of her sons, then to find out if it had all perhaps been a crazy dream. But the image of Lorenzo's fist cracking the wall only inches from her face assured her otherwise. She swallowed hard and felt Hortense's grip tighten around her elbow.

The coach pulled away from the place where the sisters stood, leaving Marie feeling once more as though she were stranded, pulled from reality like a loose thread from a silk scarf. Hortense let go of her sister and stood rigidly, hands clasped before her and chin in the air. Marie, thinking this to be some variation of proper French protocol, copied her sibling's movements, seeing at once why Hortense had pulled away. A man approached from the Cour Royale, his wedged shoes snapping harshly against the polished two-toned marble. The mere opulence of the palace courtyard was enough to make her feel like a sheep entering a den of wolves, and this man, though likely no more than a low level courtier or even a high ranking servant, made Marie quake in her boots. His coat was simple; without the flamboyant frill of the French nobility, but he was tall and handsome; with broad shoulders and a strong jaw. He walked with purpose, his long gait allowing him to reach the sisters within the first moment of his appearance from inside the palace walls. He stopped a few feet before them and bowed deeply, Marie and Hortense answering with a flawless curtsy. He spoke in quick, strong French, and Marie found all previous experience with the language flooding back at once.

"His Royal Majesty, Louis the Great, le Roi Soleil, sends his most sincere greetings. Council being held in the King's chamber will keep his grace occupied until the first hour after noon. In the meantime, his Majesty bids you welcome to Versailles, and requests that I show you to your apartments."

Without waiting for a response or even an expression of thanks from his charges, he spun on his heel and began his brisk walk up the palace steps. Hortense gave her sister's hand a reassuring squeeze and lifted the front of her green gown to follow the man Marie now knew to be a servant. Afraid of being left behind, Marie grabbed at her skirt and hurried to catch up. Upon entering the palace, Marie's vision tunneled.

The gallery which they entered was more opulent than any Marie had ever seen; grander than any other palace. Grander than any cathedral. Gold tiered arches rose to an exquisitely painted mural ceiling. Crystal chandeliers hung from the soaring height, and mirrors lined with golden candelabras stretched the expanse of one wall. Along the opposite wall, the marbled arches were filled with tall windows, flooding the gallery with natural light and making every painting come alive. Marie noticed then, the amount of busts carved in the likeness of France's king. Of the paintings dedicated to his glory.

"The Hall of mirrors." The servant stated in passing, surely aware of any person's reaction to such a feat of magnificence. He himself seemed not nearly as taken by the gallery as perhaps he should have been. "If you will follow me, please."

A cathedral Marie thought in bewildered wonderment, Built to the worship of one man.

Every turn made through the palace's endless corridors overwhelmed Marie, so quickly she resorted to setting her gaze onto the bottom of Hortense's skirt swishing against the floors in front of her. Before long, the rhythmic clack of the servant's heeled shoes came to a stop. Marie raised her chin and was greeted with the sight of a set of elaborate double doors being pushed inward by the handsome man. But where Marie expected to see simple apartments, there were sleeping quarters fit for any noble.

"You shall likely be sent for by His Majesty before dawn." Their guide stated solemnly. "Until such a time, rest and rejuvenate. Dinner is served at the tenth hour."

Hortense sent the servant a sultry smile. "And shall you be retrieving us then, good sir?"

 He raised one eyebrow in her direction, bowed once, and stepped out into the hallway. He then stiffly closed the doors behind him, sealing the two sisters inside the room.