Chapitre III: La Statue en Mouvement

The rumors that Hortense had heard about the pleasures of Versailles were certainly true. Marie had never seen such an overt display of splendor. She had expected to be led to ballroom within the palace, but instead, she and Hortense were led to a terrace, down into the miles of flawlessly manicured gardens. Marie could not even fathom how many gardeners were required to keep the grounds of the King in order. The leveled paths were lined with burning brass sconces. Marie had once heard tales of the Masquerades that happened in Venice at night, and suddenly felt as though she should have mask to cover her identity despite the darkness. There was something mysterious and scandalous about being led into the outdoors for an evening of festivities.

If anything seemed off to Hortense, she did not show it, instead flirting flamboyantly with their guide, clearly thrilled that it was the same handsome young gentleman from earlier that day. Marie thought at first to remind Hortense of the difference in station between she and young man, but then reconsidered and said nothing. The younger sister had a reputation throughout Europe for her general audacity and promiscuity. Rumors flew that she had been a mistress of the Duke of Savoy, and even that she had plans to travel to England and retain the affections for King Charles II. Marie had tried to question her sister about the hearsay only once, and Hortense had done nothing to answer but raise an eyebrow and shrug.

Marie tried to keep the new gown from sweeping against the gravel, glancing down so often that she almost missed it when their guide turned sharply around a hedge. As it was, she stumbled briefly and picked up her pace to keep in step with her sister. They were pulled to halt suddenly and Marie could not believe her own eyes.

Sunk deep into the earth was a ballroom. Not the conventional one, of course, but one even more magnificent. A leveled, polished stone dance floor was set in the ground, surrounded by rows of rising benches, encircling the floor like the seats in an amphitheater circle the stage. Stone canals ran up and down each separate sections of the amphitheater, graceful fountains spraying into the air - a fine mist that cooled the warm summer night. Columns stood freely about the edges of the party, strung with garlands of flowers, encircled with more tall sconces, now in gold. The burning light cast an enchanted glow over the dancers. Tables were set around the border of the floor; an entire buffet of the finest of French cuisine. Marie glimpsed plates piled high with Lobster de Bretagne, bass with cockle jelly, duck with seared foie-gras in what looked like a bitter chocolate sauce, tarte Tatin, roasted boar, and goblets overflowing with red wine.

But the real show stopper were the guests themselves. They were everywhere; draped over stone benches, chasing each other through the crowd, and flying around the food tables with silver chalices gripped between pale fingertips. Most occupied the dance floor, long dresses sweeping the ground, being lifted to look as though they were treading the air itself. They wore the grandest of everything. Gentlemen were dressed in bright coats with long tails and high collars that cupped the backs of their necks. Their shoes were the finest of dyed leather, with large brass buckles and solid heels. The ladies wore gowns that spread like church bells at their waists and laced corsets, all tied in startlingly large bows and piles of laces, satin, and frills. Luscious curls were piled like mountains atop their heads, so much so that Marie wasn't sure how they could keep their balance. The most entrancing thing about them was something that couldn't be seen, but rather felt. They were the highest in the world; the most important courtiers and ladies in his Majesty's court. They were powerful. They were beautiful. They were breathtaking. And they all knew it.

Hortense was alight with excitement; tugging on her sister's arm to get down to the party faster. She had no doubt already spied at least ten men who would satisfy her whimsies tonight. Marie, on the other hand, wasn't entirely sure where she was supposed to go or what she was supposed to be doing.