Chaptire IV: "Vous méritant la pourchasse."

Versailles, 1685 ~ Le Palais de Versailles 

Marie laughed violently; a laugh certainly unbefitting of a young woman of status, but in this moment, jogging between these trees, there was no one in the world who could hear her.

No one but the Prince.

Marie felt a firm hand grasp her wrist, and she giggled once more as he spun her around to meet his gaze. He wore none of his traditional attire today, upon her personal request, instead dressed in a simple linen shirt and loose riding pants tucked into his boots. His expansive curls hung freely around his shoulders, unkempt and wild from their running through the trees.

"You are fast for a girl, Milady." He teased with a childish grin on his lips. "But not nearly fast enough."

"Bold words, your Highness." Marie gave him a defiant shrug. "Perhaps you have simply grown accustomed to chasing young ladies through the gardens."

The Prince reached forward and brushed a dark curl from her forehead. "I run for none but you, Maria."

Marie closed her eyes, pleased by his response. Especially his use of her real name. Anna Maria Mancini became Marie Mazarin each time she visited her Uncle in Paris. At first the change had made her angry. Was it so wrong to be from Rome? Had Rome not also been a great empire once?

When Louis learned that her name was not actually Marie, he had hesitated not once in using her birth name to call to her. It made her smile, and he would tease that any reason to see that smile was reason enough for change. She loved that he was willing to change for her.

"I run from all but you, your Highness." Marie smiled back, and she watched as his soft lips peeled back from his rows of perfect teeth.

"Lies," he leaned into her neck, his warm breath ghosting over the lobe of her ear. "You run even from me."

"I shall stop, if it pleases your Highness." Marie whispered. No man had ever approached her the way the Prince did, and he knew it. She could feel his soft chuckle against her cheek.

"You are worth chasing, Maria." 

  *****⚜️*****  

Versailles, 1685 ~ Le Palais de Versailles

The King at first said nothing, simply staring at Marie with his jaw taut. His grip did not loosen on her wrist, though it was not forceful. Marie knew that she could break free and run away at any point, and she also knew that His Majesty would not be likely to stop her. They were now too old, with lives that were too different. Marie wished it were not so.

"Her Ladyship seems well," He said slowly, his voice much deeper and more gravelly than she remembered.

"Your Majesty," she dipped her head. "Though I have not been graced with your presence in many years, please do me the honor of not lying to me."

"Why have you come to Versailles?" He asked solemnly.

"To take advantage of Your Majesty's protection."

His gaze was steady on hers. "Why do you seek my protection, Mazarinette?"

Marie tried not to be affected by his indifference in addressing her, but his refusal to call her by name cut at her heart. "My Lord husband is unstable at present."

A royal eyebrow was raised. "He has harmed you?"

Marie did not meet his eyes. "My conjugal duty was not fulfilled unto the Prince these few years past."

The King's blue eyes burned into her skin. "You would not sleep with your own husband?"

"With all due respect your Majesty," Marie pulled her wrist gently away from his grasp, his hand suddenly feeling too much like a manacle. "Let the affairs of my husband's house remain a private matter."

He slowly nodded, pulling back his arm and letting it fall heavily at his side. "Let it not be said that His Majesty the Sun King turned away a Lady in need of his protection."

Marie bowed stiffly. "You mercy is great, your grace."

 He said nothing as she turned and stepped back further into the tunnel, intent on returning to her rooms.   

In the Court of the Sun Kingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें