What's A Mudblood?

“What’s a M…Mudblood?” Severus almost dropped his cup of tea in shock as he looked over at Harry. He shakily set it down on the table in his small kitchen, where they were currently sitting.

          “Where…” He cleared his throat and tried again. “Where’d you hear that word?”

          “Draco,” was the simple reply. Severus raised an eyebrow and then gave a little shake of his head.

          “I should have known,” he muttered, picking up his tea. After a long sip, he met Harry's eyes again. “Is that why you guys wouldn’t talk to each other?” That morning, after breakfast, the three of them had gone to Hogsmeade and then Diagon Alley. The whole time they were at the eye clinic, and then lunch, Harry refused to even look at his blonde friend.

          Several times, Draco looked like he wanted to say something but in the end, he'd just followed Severus and Harry with a haunted look on his face. The tension was so thick that, after lunch, they’d forgone the shopping and just returned to Hogwarts. They were supposed to have dinner with Severus, like they had started doing every Saturday night, but Harry showed up alone.

          “Y…yes,” Harry whispered, looking at the table in front of him. “I made a new f…friend and Draco c…called her a M…Mudblood.” Severus sighed and sat his tea down again.

          “A Mudblood is a name some Purebloods use for Muggleborns. Someone who has magic but their parents don't,” he clarified at Harry's questioning look. “It basically means dirty blood.” Harry's eyes narrowed.

          “Wasn’t my mother a…a Muggleborn?” he asked, looking up and staring straight at Severus with his piercing emerald green eyes. Severus had to look away for a moment, remembering another pair of green eyes, these ones accusing as they stared at him. He cleared his throat again and looked back at Harry.

          “Yes,” Severus replied quietly. “Yes she was.” It was silent again. “You should let him apologize.” Harry just stared at him. “If I know my Godson, he's feeling horrible but doesn’t quite know how to say he's sorry. He’s most likely afraid you’ll reject it…and him.” Harry looked thoughtful for a moment.

          “Alright,” Harry finally said. “I'll give him another chance.” Severus gave a slight smile and let the subject drop. The two finished their tea, while making small talk, before making their way into the sitting room. Harry grabbed his bag, getting ready to leave, when Severus placed a hand on Harry’s shoulder. The small boy looked up at him, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

          “Sir?” Severus sighed and gestured to the couch. Harry took the hint and slowly sat down, still clutching the strap of his book bag.

          “I thought I told you to call me Severus when we’re alone,” Severus said as he sat in the armchair facing the couch. Harry nodded quickly before lowering his eyes to the floor, his shoulders tense. “You’re not in any trouble, Harry,” Severus continued softly, watching Harry intently. The young Slytherin visibly relaxed, his back straightening as he looked up again. Severus hesitated another moment and then spoke, knowing the subject was going to be uncomfortable for Harry. “It has come to my attention, through observing you in class and with talking to some students, that you are unable to read.” Harry’s eyes widened to about the size of saucers and his hands started shaking.

          “P…please don’t e…expelled me,” he whimpered, eyes filling with tears. Severus gently took Harry’s trembling hands in his own and looked him straight in the eyes.

          “You’re not going to be expelled, child,” Severus whispered. “I want to help you.”