Christmas

It took a few weeks but finally, right before the holidays, Severus and Harry were legally father and son. To celebrate both the adoption, and their first Christmas together, the new family was invited to Malfoy Manor. Harry was so excited, he was unable to sleep his last night at Hogwarts. Slowly, so he wouldn't wake the other boys, Harry crawled out of bed and went down to the common room. He curled up in the armchair closest to the fire and reached into his pocket, pulling out a picture. It was of a beautiful young woman, smiling and laughing as she waved at the camera.

         The day the adoption was finalized, Severus had given him the picture. He said he was sorry he didn't have any of his father but Harry didn't mind. He wasn't sure he wanted one. Severus still hasn't told him why he hated James, but Harry was certain his father had done something terrible to Severus. Maybe one day, his new father would tell him.

         Harry gazed down at the picture, feeling tears well up in his eyes as he traced her face.

         “Hi mum,” he whispered, oblivious to the person watching him. “I used to wish you were alive and that you'd come and save me from the Dursleys. I would sit in my cupboard and wonder what I did wrong. Why did you leave me?” He took a deep breath. “But it's okay now. I mean, I still wish you were here but now, I have a dad. He says he loves me and I don't ever have to go back to the Dursleys.”

         “Harry.” He looked up to see Severus standing at the door to the common room. “Why aren't you in bed?”

         “I can't sleep.” Harry looked down at the photo he was holding and slowly caressed his mother's face before sliding it in his pocket and looking up at his new dad with a bright smile. “I'm too excited!” Severus chuckled and sat down next to the boy.

         “It's still early. You really should get some sleep.” He ruffled Harry's hair. “How about if I tell you a story? Would that help?” Harry nodded and snuggled into Severus's side. Severus put his arm around him and began. “It was a warm summer day when he first saw her. Her auburn hair was blowing in the gentle breeze and her emerald colored eyes shone with happiness. She was dancing in the grass and he…”

         Harry stared up at the mansion in awe. He'd never seen anything like it. The Manor was so white, it practically gleamed. It was huge and almost intimidating to the young boy. Harry, Draco, and Severus were currently standing at the gates where they had landed after Severus had apparated them. There was a long stone path leading to the front door.

         The yard was so huge that Harry was sure you could fit four or five Quidditch pitches. Off to the side was a group of pure white peacocks, at least that was what Harry thought they were. He saw a picture of one once in a book Dudley had thrown away.

         “You live here?” He asked Draco, who only laughed and led the way up the path. At the door, they were greeted by Draco's parents. Harry gave Lucius a bright smile but it dimmed slightly when he saw the woman standing next to him. He had never met Draco's mother before and he was a little nervous.

         “You must be Harry,” she said warmly, holding out her hand.

         “N...nice to meet you, ma'am,” Harry said, placing his hand in hers, proud that he'd only stuttered once. She laughed and the sound, so open and carefree, instantly relaxed him.

         “Please, call me Narcissa, Harry. Ma'am makes me sound old.” She winked, making him giggle, before letting go of his hand. “Now...who's hungry?”

         Harry stared at the dining room table, which could easily hold 20 people or more, and nervously shifted from foot to foot. He wasn't sure what to do. He'd never been invited to someone's home before and at the Dursley's, it was taboo for him to sit with “normal” people. Hogwarts was different because he was a student and all students sat at the table. It was different with Severus too because the man had told him it was okay plus he was now his dad as well.