Aunt Bella

Author's Note: I can't believe how many people like this story! I love reading your reviews! When I first started this story, I had no idea how many people would actually read, much less, like it. A few chapters back, someone asked about Bellatrix. I'm really sorry I can't remember who it was but whoever it was, this chapter is for you.

          Sal looked around his room and sighed. It was a nice room, that the Malfoys had graciously given him, but it wasn't the same as being home. Granted, he hadn't been there in years, but still.

         Hearing footsteps, Sal whirled around to face the door, eyes wide as his hands shook. It took a few minutes for his thoughts to catch up with the rest of him. When he could think clearly, he mentally slapped himself.

         This wasn't the prison he had been stuck in for the past ten years. Just because he heard footsteps didn't mean something bad was going to happen. And besides, he was pretty sure Lucius Malfoy would have all kinds of wards on his home, including ones that wouldn't allow unwanted visitors.

         He had just gotten his breathing under control when the door slowly opened. He recognized the head of untidy black hair and smiled as a small face peeked in.

         “You can come in,” Sal said gently. Harry slowly walked forward.

         “I...I noticed you weren't downstairs this morning,” the boy whispered. “A...are you okay?” Sal nodded quickly but then sighed as he slowly shook his head.

         “I'm just trying to get used to people who won't hurt me.” Harry nodded solemnly.

         “It took me a while too,” he said. “I still am trying.” Sal raised an eyebrow but didn't push. He remembered the day he met Harry and how frightened he seemed when Sal had yelled.

         “Well, I guess I should make an appearance.” He wrinkled his nose making Harry giggle. The two made their way downstairs where Sal froze as he caught sight of someone in the front entryway. The woman slowly turned to face him and Sal felt his breath hitch as his eyes filled with tears.

         “Aunt Bella!” He flew across the room and into her arms. They clung to each other as they both cried. As a child, Sal knew Lucius and Narcissa but it was Bellatrix he was close to. Her and Severus. They were the ones who looked after him when his father couldn't. They were the ones who tucked him in, read him stories, and snuck him treats.

         He used to think Sev and Bella would get married. He even asked once, shortly before he was kidnapped. Sev had frozen in the midst of tucking him in and just stared at him while Bella had blushed and looked away.

         After what seemed like an eternity, Sal stepped back though she still held his hands.

         “He...he said you were dead,” Sal whispered. “T...that you were sent to A...Azkaban and k...kissed.” Bella sighed.

         “I was sent to Azkaban for the torture of Alice and Frank Longbottom.” She held up a hand when Sal opened his mouth. “It wasn't me but the ministry wouldn't listen. They didn't even give me a trial.” She scowled, obviously still upset at them, not that Sal blamed her.

         “So how did you get out?” Bella blushed and looked away, reminding Sal of that night all those years ago. “Aunt Bella?”

         “We broke her out.” Sal turned to see Severus standing there. “Shortly after we discovered you were still alive, Lucius and I went to Azkaban and broke her out.”

         “Thanks, Sev,” the young man said sincerely. Severus gave a smile and nodded.

         “Harry, did you leave the presents under the tree?” Harry nodded and Severus turned back to Sal.

         “You weren't down here earlier so your presents are still under the tree.”

         After he opened his presents, Sal and Bella went up to his room to talk. Bella simply sat on the bed and watched him, waiting for him to gather his thoughts. Finally, he turned to face her, pain and anguish clear in his eyes.

         “Aunt Bella, is my father dead?” Bella's eyes widened and all she could do was stare at him. Sal sighed. “All Sev would say was that after I was kidnapped, he went insane. But he wouldn't say anything else.”

         “That's because it's very painful for him to talk about,” Bella said gently. “Like Sev said, your father became irrational and deranged. He wasn't the same man. He found out about a prophecy. The prophecy spoke of a child that would defeat him so he set out to destroy the child first. That night, he killed James and Lily Potter. He tried to kill Harry but something went wrong. The curse rebounded and hit him instead.” Sal sighed sadly.

         “So he is dead.” Bella stood and gently took the younger man's hands into her own.

         “I'm not sure, Sal. No body was ever found.” She gave his hands a gentle squeeze before turning to go, letting him process what she told him.

         “Aunt Bella?” She stopped at the door and looked over her shoulder at him. “You said it was too painful for Sev. Why?” Bella gave him a sad smile.

         "Lily Potter, well Lily Evans, was Severus’ best friend.” Then she was gone. Sal sat on his bed for a long time, deep in thought, before finally dropping off into a restless sleep.

         Harry stepped back into the shadows when he heard Bella start to leave. He wasn't sure what to think. He had been on his way to his room when he heard them talking about him and his parents. Now, he was so confused.

         Ever since he had heard what really happened to his parents, he had hated the man who took them away from him. He hated the man who caused him to be an orphan and have to live with the Dursleys.

         But now he was confused. Should he hate him or feel bad for him? Should he blame him? And if he can't blame the man who killed his parents, then who could he blame? He watched until Bella disappeared down the stairs before running to his room and climbing under the covers. It took a long time to fall asleep and when he did, he was plagued with nightmares.