08 | Damsel

No one seemed to care that Iliana'd left her cabin. In fact, Sophos even offered her a shy smile when she reached the lower deck. She returned it, and he instantly spun around to focus on the rigging in his hands. Somewhat amused, she focused her attention on the others. Heron stood in the crow's nest, his eyes focused on the open sea. Abarron and Lykos were at the bow, discussing something she couldn't hear while they snacked on apples.

Not wanting to deal with him this early in the morning, Iliana turned her back to Lykos and started towards the stern. Like the night before, she scaled the ladder, only this time she didn't stop at the top rung. A light breeze played with her hair as she approached the back railing. Brilliantly blue, the open ocean stretched out for miles behind the ship. There was something calming in the rolling waves that drove Iliana to drop her arms, then her head, atop the railing.

For several minutes she simply stood like that. Her mind churned with the multitude of unanswered questions that dominated her thoughts. At the moment, the strongest inquiry was how long it took for a siren to fully transform. The legends said that sirens could breathe underwater. Did that mean they formed gills? Iliana pulled one hand from beneath her head so she could rub the side of her neck. None of the sirens she'd met had scaled necks. So, that was a no.

Still, if she could guarantee that she could breathe underwater...

She was so distracted by her thoughts that it took her a full minute to comprehend the sudden glimpse of blue, green, and blond swimming just below the ocean's surface. The second it registered, Iliana snapped her head up and gaped.

"Callias?"

She hesitated, then spun around to check that no one was within hearing distance. If she was right, and that was him, she needed to make sure nothing would interrupt this moment. Unlike when she'd been eavesdropping, there wasn't a single soul on the ladder, nor had anyone joined her on the upper deck. Satisfied, she returned to the railing and stared. How had he found her? Did it even matter? He was here. She wasn't alone.

"Callias, is that you?"

Stupid. It isn't like he can answer you while keeping up with the ship. Once again, she turned her attention to her surroundings. There were a few supply crates littered around just as there had been on the lower deck. She hesitated--the idea was a bit ridiculous--before moving over to the closest box and quickly working the knots that secured the crate in place.

When finished, she moved onto the next, and repeated until she was satisfied she had enough rope. Tying them all together, she returned to the back railing and looped the rope around the top. She made sure not to release the end of it, however, instead keeping it securely gripped in her fist. She then tossed the other end into the water. She would have tied it to the railing, but if someone came up it would take that much longer to be rid of the rope.

Seeming to understand what she was thinking, Callias grasped his end and disappeared into the ocean's depths for a moment. Then, he reappeared, the rope secured around his waist. The second he'd rolled onto his back, allowing the rope to tug him along the top of the waters, Iliana offered him a blinding grin.

"It is you!"

He rolled his eyes. Within the same moment, however, he was studying her. Suddenly, Iliana felt self conscious. She was changing and, unlike Lykos and the crew, Callias hadn't been around to see it unfolding. Whatever his thoughts on the matter, he focused his gaze on her face after only a few seconds.

"Melitta is bringing others," he stated.

"Are they here?" Iliana asked, hope fluttering to life. Was this it? If she leapt over the railing right now would she be alright?