21 | Bonds

The moment Kain closed his eyes, he knew something was off. Unlike before, darkness took him instantly.

Then, a dream.

He was on a ship, one different from the Airlea. Unlike his home, this ship looked as if it rarely braved rough waters. The deck was pristine, as if the owners spent more time polishing the wood than sailing. A quick look around gave him the impression that the vessel was more ceremonial than functional. It was meant to look pretty for whomever owned it, to serve as prestige, rather than a way of life. Yet, despite all of this, there was no land in sight. The ocean spread out in every direction--until it hit a solid wall of nothingness a handful of miles out.

In an attempt to place himself, Kain glanced towards the sky. It revealed nothing. The sun had begun to fall, dimming the world around him, but there wasn't a single visible star.

"Finally," a voice called out. Kain spun around to face the speaker, a dark haired man with amber eyes. "The hero arrives."

"Hero?" Kain questioned.

"Hero," the man, or more appropriately, god confirmed.

Kain felt strangely calm. A distant part of him knew that the god of fortune, dreams, and healing only played games when someone intrigued him. To catch the attention of the trickster god was considered to be more of a curse than a blessing by most people. He knew he should've been worried, or awed, that Koun had invaded his dreams. But, he wasn't.

Perhaps Koun was making it impossible for him to get worked up at the moment. Or, maybe Kain was numb to the attention of the gods given his life so far. Most likely the first with a touch of the latter.

"I'm not a hero," he pointed out. "Are you sure you've found the right person?"

A faint thought plagued the back of his mind that this wasn't the first time he'd had to deny such a label recently. What was it about himself that gave others that impression?

"Utterly certain," Koun replied.

"How?"

"There aren't many halfling boys with your heritage or curse running around out there," Koun declared. "And if there was, none of them would've been drawn in by the red string."

"The what?"

"You're the right person," Koun continued, ignoring him.

Feeling the end of the conversation, Kain simply nodded his agreement. He was acutely aware that he'd typically have argued the point further, but felt no such need. Koun was definitely messing with him.

"Glad that's settled," Koun said, clapping his hands together, before waving Kain forward. "Now, look around. I've connected your dreams for a reason."

With that, the god disappeared. So, Kain followed the order. He walked around the deck, studying the nondescript, yet expensive surroundings, before coming to a pause next to a hatch that would lead to the lower deck. Instinct told him that it was the right choice--he wouldn't find what Koun wanted him to see if he took the door to the captain's quarters. He tugged on the iron circle that served as a handle, and was satisfied as the wood swung open with ease.

A glance inside revealed Kain's assumption was right--this was no merchant ship.

Beneath him laid a dimly lit hall, lined by what appeared to be empty cages. A poacher ship, perhaps? Kain'd heard they often traveled by water to avoid the law of whatever country they were working out of. Often lords weren't pleased with the thieves work, and more often than not being caught poaching carried a harsh sentencing.