Honeysuckle

“I think Freddie and I are about to call it a night. I simply had to come talk to you though.” Mary smiled at me.

 “I’m so sorry I’ve ignored you. I’ve been runnin’ around here…” Mary stopped me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

 “No. No, Lydia. It’s fine, really. Everything is so perfect. Your family did a hell of a job.” She put her arms around me and we admired the tender illuminated bulbs in the trees. They were like tiny fireflies among the moss. On the far side of the estate was my family’s pool and just to be let guests know they could retreat to the pool patio; there were more lights hung overhead. It cast a faint yellow glow over the entire area past the tall shrubs. Mary sighed. “God, what a night. It’s so very peaceful out here. When I first met you, I would have never guessed in a million years that you came from all this. No one would ever know, Lydia.” I smiled at Mary. “Where did John and Veronica go?”

 “Oh, they crashed nearly an hour ago. Had to put the baby to bed and I think they were very much looking forward to watching the telly in peace. I hate they had to drag all their baby crap here…except this house hasn’t seen a crib since 1949.” I laughed, as did Mary. She shook her head.

 “It has to be exhausting with the baby on both of them. I can’t imagine what being a parent entails. It’s an extraordinary and terrifying thing.” Mary said. She was very right in her statement. There was silence between us for a moment. I sighed heavily and leaned over against the column on the patio.

 “Is that what’s next?” I asked of her.

 “What?” she looked at me and polished off her champagne.

 “Marriage, babies…the happy ending or so they call it?” I paused and folded my arms across my chest as I stared into the thinning crowd. Mary gazed in my direction and shrugged.

 “It seems that way, doesn’t it? I mean, first John and Veronica and now these two? S'not what's necessrily right for everyone.” she stated. There was silence again between us.

 “Society seems to say it's right for everyone. Well, society has never met me.” I said, glancing in her direction.

 “Oh my god! Thank you for saying it out loud!” Mary dramatically rolled her head around. “Yes! You’re so right, Lydia! There’s so much more to life than what people expect or what society deems appropriate!”

 “Since when did it become the norm to just get married and have babies? For those who truly want that, it's wonderful…that is their prerogative and shouldn’t be judged for it. But, Mary…what about those of us who want to...stop and...see the world with the one we love? Or…have the freedom to up and go on holiday when the whimsy hits, ya’ know? What about those of us who make better mother figures than mothers?” I looked over at her.

 “You’re preachin’ to the choir! It’s not that I’m against havin’ children…it’s just…why have a baby because you feel like you should? I ask myself…why rearrange my life for a baby I hardly know I want?” she finished.

 “I understand. Little Robert is a precious, precious child but Veronica and John now have to plan their entire lives around him. They are such a wonderful couple and I fear they will lose their identity to their baby. Ya’ can’t do that. Ya’ gotta continue to be yourselves and allow your child to be a part of that. Babies grow up. Then when they have lives of their own...then what? Ya' better keep your identity within arms reach.” I deduced.

 “Are we the most horrible of women for thinking it? It’s such taboo! Ya’ just don’t say it out loud.” Mary laughed.

 “Hell no we aren’t horrible! We’re honest. Nothing wrong with honesty.” I assured her. May smiled pleasantly, sensing I had alleviated her mind. "At this point in my life, Mary...I'll stop and smell the flowers. Because there is plenty of time for more of them to bloom."  Freddie was beginning to walk toward us.