The Right Thing

John shook his head, the fingers of his right hand partially resting on his lips. "Personally, I love it. I think the promotion is all right. Ran it by Fred and Brian and they think it's pure brilliance." He picked up his tea.

 "Outstanding! So, the eight of you will be in the publicity box. I'll see to it that you have the front row of the box seats. They are very hospitable so anything you will wish for the day of the race will be gladly provided." Grisham laughed. "Lydia and her mum drank their weight in cocktails the year Lydia turned nineteen." John laughed at him.

 "I'm sure my wife and I could do the same. Would there be someone to watch the baby for she and I or should we plan on bringing him into the stands?" John asked. Grisham shook his head.

 "The races are quite noisy for a baby. I'll have a good sitter arranged for you." Grisham promised.

 "Oh, that's very nice of you and thank you." John was grateful for the offer. "About the donation. I don't have our checkbook..." Grisham put a hand in the air and shook his head.

 "Don't worry about it. You can mail it to me later. I'll have you all formally recognized at the opening of the race, as if you won't be already!" He laughed and John smiled at him.

 "One thousand printings of the record? How does that sound?" John asked. Again, Grisham nodded.  "We will personally sign them all."

 "Do you want to sign them in a press conference style or do you want to pre-sign them? If you pre-sign them, they can be given to the first thousand through the gates whereas if you do a press style signing...well, you already know about those."

 "We'll do a press conference and a signing. We tend to get better exposure." John said. Grisham smiled.

 "Wonderful! I'll explain it all to the board and they will set up the space behind the gates. I'll admit there will, of course, be the stuffy crowd, but there will be some fans of yours there I'm sure. This will be an excellent opportunity. John glanced out the window to the peaceful and settling country rain shower falling over the farm. The picturesque morning had turned into a gentle set-in afternoon shower.

 “You’re good with business Mr. Campbell, I suppose I should shake your hand.” John smiled and extended a hand to Grisham.

 “It’s my pleasure, John. It is. Come now. It’s nearly 5:00. Let’s pour some scotch and watch the rain from the veranda, yeah?” Grisham said, standing up from the kitchen nook table.

 “Sounds exquisite. I should check on Veronica first. The baby needs put down for his nap I’m just sure. Save me a spot on the veranda. I’ll be right there.” John said. Grisham gave him a nod.

 “I’ll have a you a glass ready.” Grisham promised John. Off the kitchen, Mary, Veronica, Chrissie and I were in the middle of a girl-fueled poker game. We had already started pounding down the cosmopolitans. 

 “How…frequently do you have sex?” Mary asked bluntly, reaching for her drink. She was directing her question to any of us that would answer. We all looked at each other and then her. It’s not that we were embarrassed to answer this, hell no! It was just…well, one of us had to go first…may as well be me.

 “Wait…when you say…sex…” Mary stopped me as I reached for a slice of the outstanding pizza we had asked the chef to prepare for us before he was relieved of his wedding weekend duties.

 “Anything goes. I’m talking any of the sex at all. How frequently?” Mary clarified and shuffled the deck of cards for our next poker round.

 “Four to six times a week.” I answered her quickly.

 “I have a baby. Three times if John and I aren’t exhausted.” Veronica answered. There was silence around the table.