Chapter 18

Roy put his hand on the door of headquarters and then took it off.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"You don't have to keep asking that every time we go somewhere." Edward grumbled.

"Sorry, it's just I'm afraid that anything could make you hide away again. PTSD is a serious matter and anything could trigger it. I would like to keep your mentality intact as long as possible."

Edward smiled. "I know, Colonel, but you'll know if it's getting to me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'd let you know."

Roy nodded, trusting Edward's own assumptions, and opened the door to headquarters. They went down the hallway to the elevator and up to the floor where Roy's personnel were. When the door opened, they were greeted by Major Armstrong. Edward immediately grabbed hold of Roy's leg and Roy took on a defensive demeanor.

"Welcome back, Edward Elric! I've heard so much of your journey!"

"Major, please calm down!" Roy growled. "He's better than he was but you're over-confident boisterous attitude will just scare the hell out of him."

Armstrong put his shirt back on and nodded, glitter still shining around him.

"Yes, I understand. I should have been more aware of poor Edward's mental state."

Edward made a face at that and looked up at Roy. He shrugged and quickly removed his subordinate from the over-affectionate major.

"Why does it feel like everyone thinks I had a mental break down and just got back from the clinic?"

"Because technically you did."

Edward didn't really like that but he figured that was a pretty apt way of putting it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"What pretty golden hair. I've never seen Amestrian hair look like this. It's like liquid gold! We'll get a high price on him in Xing."

"You really think so? Look at him. He's practically a vegetable." The man said, kicking Edward as he mumbled on his side on the ground.

"That's the best selling point. He's so fucked up in the head that he'll just do whatever they tell him to do. I mean, a mindless, golden haired boy who won't put up a fight? How could they not want this?!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Edward." He looked up at Roy. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah..." he said, looking down. "Yeah..."

Roy hoped he was alright but opened the door to his office.

"Welcome back!" everyone yelled and Fuery popped a streamer.

Edward smiled as the streamers fell on him, although Roy frowned.

"I hope you're cleaning up the mess." He grumbled.

"Lighten up, Colonel." Havoc said, his cigarette dangling from his lip. "Chief's back and everything is back to normal."

Edward looked downcast. Al's not here...

+++++++++++++++

"Welcome back, Brother!"

++++++++++++++++++

Edward looked but it was just a voice in his head.

Al was gone... there was nothing to change that.