Chapter 22

Maes, Riza, Beje, and the rest of Mustang's crew all stood on the platform at the Central station to watch Ed go home. It had been a couple of weeks now and after some slightly unpleasant times at Riza's home, Edward got better and was able to keep his composure. As Edward scanned the friends he had made, he didn't see not a black hair from that asshole. He didn't care and smiled as Maes held out his hand.

"I'm glad I got to meet you, Edward. You taught me some things and I'm glad you're safe now."

"What will you do with your life, Chief?" Havoc asked.

Edward smiled a little. "I don't know... I didn't think this far ahead. I just know that I wanted to get Al back home where he belongs, with our family. After that, who knows? Maybe I'll get into the automail business with Winry or something."

"She your girlfriend?" Havoc kidded.

Edward made a face. "N-no..."

Maes laughed and Riza held out something for him.

"We've been saving this for you. I don't know how you'll take it but we thought you'd like to have it back."

Edward took it and untied the string. He opened the box and saw that his red jacket was there, pristine and crisp.

"I washed it for you. We've had it since you were gone but I didn't want to cause any undo anxiety for you so I wanted to wait until you were better before giving it back. I know you're not exactly the Fullmetal Alchemist anymore on a military standpoint, but it's kind of your signature thing."

Edward smiled, touching the red fabric with a small smile when he noticed some random stitching in a couple of places.

"What's this?"

"Oh, the jacket was a little wont for wear so the- um... I got it sewed back together for you. Just a couple of tears, nothing too much."

Edward smiled and took it out, letting it unfold. He slung it on and smiled and then he frowned. He couldn't wear this any longer. This was something that held him and Alphonse together as a pair, the only two apprentices of Izumi Curtis... now only one. He took it off and folded it back.

"Thank you. This means a lot."

The whistle blew for the train to start leaving and Edward turned to it.

"Well, that's my ride. Maybe one day I'll stop by and if you guys want to nice vacation from all the noise, come to Resembool."

They all waved goodbye but Beje walked with him to the edge of the platform.

"Are you sure him not being here is okay with you, kid?"

"I don't need that bastard here to have closure."

Beje lifted an eyebrow. "Your bravado is weak."

Edward narrowed his eyes at him.

"You think you know everything about me but you know nothing."

Beje just laughed. "That's okay, I've been examining you ever since you got back and have been pretty on point with everything, but you're right, I know nothing about you. I don't know anything about the pain you feel about him not being here to see you go at least. I don't see the flash of anger in your eyes every time I mention him. I don't see the anguish you still have and the brave face you put on to keep your mind from falling back into that horrible black pit of despair." Edward stared at him. "You're right. I know nothing about you."

He stepped back a little as Edward got on the train and then looked out the window at him. He saluted to the kid as the train took off. I wonder how long he'll last...