Chapter 5 - Jem, my sweet gem

❝Chapter 5 - Jem,  my sweet gem ❞ 

Ophelia was on her way back to her bedroom, humming a sweet melody as she looked at her chocolate tarts with love eyes. Once she looked up, she saw that Sophie was waiting by her bedroom door. Ophelia smiled and offered her a chocolate tart, "Sophie! How lovely to see you. Would you like a tart? Agatha made them, they're absolutely delicious!"

Sophie didn't want to deliver the message and ignore it like nothing. But she knew that it was him that would be hurting. The servant girl wishes that Ophelia was unkind and mean, it would be easier. She wishes that it was her that he requested to see, she wishes that it was her that he was in love with.

"No. Thank you, miss. Jem is back now. He wants to see you." Sophie told her abruptly and walked away without returning a smile back. 

"Oh." Ophelia looked down at her rejected tart and walked off to the direction of Jem's room, her happy energy has been drained and she was left to think about what she had done wrong. She knocked once, and the door flew open, revealing Jem smiling happily.

"Lia! I've missed you so much, I'm so sorry about what happened in the morning. I didn't know what happened-" Jem stopped and noticed that she was frowning, her eyes were gloomy, and she wasn't shining brightly like she used to.

"Are you alright?"

The corner of her lips curved a little once she saw him. Her Jem, her sweet gem. He was so beautiful, whenever she saw him, she felt like there was nothing bothering her anymore. She placed the tarts on a table and wrapped her arms tightly around him, "I'm alright, I've missed you too, Jem."

Jem inhaled her scent, she always smelt the same, like lemon and coffee. He stroked her wavy brown locks and pressed his lips against her forehead. Jem whispered sweetly, "You make me feel like I can live a thousand more years just for you."

Ophelia turned her head up and pressed their lips together, bringing back memories from yesterday. He tasted just like she remembered, sweet and spicy; it was the taste of his drugs, she guessed. Their lips fitted perfectly to each other, "You're everything to me, Jem."

However, before they were on the bed again, she pulled away. "Sophie was acting peculiar; did you tell her something?"

Jem was taken back, hurt flashed across his face for a second. He felt rejected that she pushed him away and he thought that she accused him of telling Sophie about their secret relationship. "Do you want me to? Ophelia, you know I'm willing to get down on my knees and propose to you right now. I have deep feelings for you, I hope you know that."

Ophelia smiled, he was too sweet. She didn't deserve this happiness. Maybe they were better off as friends. Friends. The word friends were like a knife, stabbing through her swelling heart. Jem held her hands, wrapping his thin long fingers around hers. "Relax and eat your chocolate tarts, I'm gonna play something for you. This melody was stuck in my head since yesterday."

James blushed and kissed the corner of her lips, tasting the chocolate. Ophelia sat on the bed, the same bed where they made love yesterday. He was so beautiful; his body was a work of art and the way he kissed her so passionately. She pushed the memories aside, blushing deeply.

He picked up his violin and propped it on his shoulder. Ophelia studied him, admiring the way he moves, admiring his beauty. Jem was in his nightclothes, a loose-fitting set of trousers and a collarless shirt, with a black silk gown tied loosely over them. He drew the bow, back and forth, over the strings, wringing the notes so perfectly. Ophelia laid down on her back, closing her eyes and fell to peace.