Chapter 6 - Toasts and brothels

Chapter 6 - Toasts and brothels ❞

When Ophelia came into the dining room, the others were already midway through breakfast. Charlotte in a plain grey dress, spreading jam onto a piece of toast; Henry half-hidden behind a newspaper; and Jessamine picking daintily at a bow of porridge. Will had aa pile og eggs and bacon on his plate and was digging them into them hungrily. Tessa looked like she has just arrived and was about to sit down beside Jessamine. Where's Jem? Ophelia huffed out and took a seat near Will, who offered to give her eggs and toasts. "Toasts?"

She thanked no, she wasn't particularly hungry. Will eyed her silently but placed toasts and eggs on her empty plate anyway along with a green apple. Jessamine said to Tessa, "We were just talking about you."

Tessa looked at Ophelia and Will anxiously, "What about me?"

"What to do with you, of course. Downworlders can't live in the Institute forever." Will said, "I say we sell her to the Gypsies on Hampstead Hearth," he added and turned to Charlotte. "I hear they purchase spare women as well as horses."

"Will, stop it." Charlotte glanced up from her breakfast. "That's ridiculous."

Will leaned back in his chair. "You're right. They'd never buy her. Too scrawny."

"That's enough," Charlotte said. "Miss Gray shall remain with us. We are in the middle of an investigation that requires her assistance. I've already dispatched a message to the Clave telling them that we're keeping her here until this Pandemonium Club matter is cleared up and her brother is found. Isn't that right, Henry?"

"Quite," Henry said, setting the newspaper down. "The Pandemonium thingie is atop priority. Absolutely."

Ophelia smiled at him. Henry was adorable, he always seems to be in his own world and always tends to cheer her up. He made eye contact with her and grinned back. Will said looking at Charlotte, "You better tell Benedict Lightwood too, you know how he is."

Charlotte blanched slightly and glanced to Ophelia, "Ophie and Will, I want the two of you to revisit the sight of the Dark Sister's house; it's abandoned now, but it's worth a final search. And I want you to take Jem with you-"

At that, the amusement left Will's expression and Ophelia looked concerned. Will asked, "Is he well enough?"

"He is quite well enough." The voice wasn't Charlotte's. It was Jem's. He had come into the room quietly and was standing by the sideboard, his arms folded across his chest. He wore a red waistcoat that Ophelia remembered that she gave it to him for his sixteen birthday, it brought color to his cheeks. Ophelia smiled when she saw him, he smiled back. "In fact, he's ready when you are."

"You should have some breakfast first." Charlotte fretted, pushing the plate of bacon toward him. Jem sat down beside Ophelia. "Oh, Ophie, please do eat. By the way Jem- this is Miss Gray. She's-"

"We've met," Jem said quietly, and he picked up a toast and applied butter to it. Tessa was staring at them and Ophelia saw a blush keeping up her face.

Charlotte looked puzzled, "You have?"

"I encountered Tessa in the corridor last night and introduced myself. I think I may have given her something of a fright." Jem's silver eyes tore away from Ophelia and met Tessa's across the table with sparkling amusement.

Charlotte shrugged and looked at Ophelia, "Very well. Ophelia, are you well? You're awfully quiet by the breakfast table and you haven't eaten anything. That's unlike you."

Ophelia picked up a toast and bite into it. She grinned and munched on the crispy bread with eggs. "Toasts are great, Charlotte! Hmm..."

Jem smiled and stared at her ethereal beauty, Ophelia was so beautiful. She didn't have to do anything, she didn't have to try. Her long wavy brown hair was concealing her beauty, Jem reached out to tuck her hair behind her ears. She stiffened and leaned away from him quickly, fear flashed through her eyes and Jem was hurt; since she rejected his affection.