chapter five

“Alright, that’s it. I can’t take it anymore,” Ava said Friday night when she returned home from classes. I looked up from the magazine I was absent-mindedly flipping through on the settee and looked at her with raised eyebrows.

            “What?”

            “You’re at stage four of your moping cycle and I can’t handle it anymore. It is my duty as your best friend and roommate to correct your moping cycle.”

            “I have a moping cycle?” I replied, cocking an eyebrow in amusement.

            “Yes. Stage one: baking. Exhibit A, the cookies, which we have yet to get through and are probably extremely stale by now. Stage Two: silence. Stage three: stress and immersing yourself in homework. And now we’ve reached stage four. Where you convince yourself you’re okay when you’re really, really not.”

            “I’m fine, Ava,” I replied, throwing the magazine on the coffee table and standing up.

            “Denial,” Ava sing-songed, taking off her coat. “We’re going out tonight.”

            “I can’t. I was just about to start crocheting a beanie for you. I thought you might like one. Your grandma taught me a new cross-stitch that I’m dying to try out, and you know how winter’s coming on…”

            “Crap,” Ava muttered. “We’re moving through the stages quicker than I thought. Already you’re at stage five: grandma projects.”

            I snorted. “Crocheting has no age limit, dumbie.”

            “Lemme guess. Your Saturday night plans are bingo at the country club?”

            I smacked her in the arm with a gray crocheting needle. “Shut up. I’m totally fine.”

            “No. Tonight we are going out with our friends. Winter break is next week, and we’re going ice-skating. And you’re coming along.”

            I looked at the thick wool mournfully. “Ava…”

            “I swear to God, if you pick a cross-stitch over your friends, I will hit you,” she warned, and I sighed.

            “All right. Fine. I’ll go ice-skating. But you’re buying my wool for the next month.”

            “I thought I wouldn’t hear that phrase until I was on my deathbed in a nursing home,” she muttered, and I giggled.

            I went into my room and applied a thin layer of makeup. I dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with a thick hoodie over the top, topping the outfit off with a thick woolen scarf.

            “Oh, by the way, Chance is going to be there,” Ava said as she breezed past my door, clipping earrings into her ears.