| 13.1 | the final negotiation

❝I'm the king 'round here
So don't call me no good.❞

Chapter Thirteen:
The Final Negotiation

The office was a flurry of activity today. Stuck between the stacks of files and sheets that Francesca had literally dumped on my table this morning and the board meeting I had been invited to attend in a very impromptu fashion, I didn't know what to worry about more. I knew things were changing in Innovus, especially since Mr. Blythe had given official notice of his pre-poned retirement with his very own prodigal son rising up to the challenge of being CEO in his father's stead. Of course, this earned several mixed reactions from all over and the one thing that it proved was that people weren't afraid to be very vocal about their opinions in this company, especially the negative ones.

I heaved a sigh and stood up. My mouth felt dry and my stomach rumbled in hunger. Making a bee-line out of my room and down the busy hall, I took a right to the recreation room and nearly lost every bit of peace I had managed to secure carefully over the course of the morning. Because there, filling his very own mug of coffee, was none other than Tim.

Things had been...awkward between us, to say the least. He was finally beginning to acknowledge me again but minimally; a little 'hello' here, and a bid 'goodnight' there when we crossed paths on the way to the lobby. Although it made me happy that there was some progress, our short greetings hit me harder as a sore reminder to the close friendship we'd had before. I never quite discussed just how much I missed Tim with Hans. Helena was more helpful on that front, but all she kept insisting me to do was wait and give the guy time.

"With matters of the heart, there's no telling how long it will take," were her exact words. I kept her advice in mind as I entered the room quietly and slid over to the cabinets to keep myself preoccupied.

I focused on emptying the small sachet of black coffee into my mug rather than pay heed to the tall, brawny blonde on the other side of the room. I was halfway through pouring hot water from the steaming electric kettle when I heard a rough cough followed by a faltering "hey".

Was that directed at me?

"Can we talk, Tris? Please?"

It was.

As casually as I could manage, I turned around and quickly inhaled to keep my composure. Tim's eyes were no longer fleeting as he met my gaze, not making any motion to hide anymore. Something about the fact that he seemed strong in his resolve to go through with this conversation gave me hope.

"It's been a while."

I fought a sarcastic smile and took a sip out of my coffee.

"And I know that the reason we haven't talked is because of me. I needed time to be okay with the...decisions you've made."

It was the most he'd spoken to me in a long time. I tried not to get too carried away by the sound of his voice which I had actually started to forget and focused on the words being delivered instead.

Not one to beat around the bush, I immediately countered with, "And by that, you mean Hans."

Tim didn't so much as flinch. Another good sign.

"Yes. Being stood up for the silver jubilee wasn't the best way for you to say it to me but I got the message, loud and clear."

There wasn't a hint of passive aggressiveness in his voice. Like me, Tim was just being honest. With a sigh, he reached past me and set his empty mug on the counter before stepping back to look at me again, his brows furrowed.