Chapter 16: Truth

"Seriously, where the hell is G?!" I cried as Jamia put me in the back of her car. Frank got in the front seat and Jamia climbed into the back with me, holding on to my baby bump and encouraging me to breathe deeply to ease the pain.

"Hold on tight," Frank said from the front seat, before speeding away from the church and to the nearest hospital, which was about twenty minutes away by car.

"Please call Gerard," I begged, as I began to experience my first contraction. "Call Gerard!"

I threw my phone at Jamia, clenching my fists to try and ease the pain. She dialled Gerard several times, but there was no answer. Before I knew it we were at the hospital and I was being rushed into the maternity ward. In my mind, all I could think about was the pain and the lack of Gerard. What if something had happened to him? He was about to miss Mikey's wedding, so something terrible must have happened? These catastrophic thoughts brought on a panic attack and before I knew it my heartbeat was racing, my palms were sweating and I felt as if I was about to vomit.

"Breathe, breathe, breathe," Jamie insisted as I was practically thrown into a wheelchair and wheeled into a hospital room. Jamia and Frank helped me get onto the bed. 

"Please call Gerard," I sobbed, my emotions taking over. I was in so much pain and so much fear, and all I wanted was to see Gerard stood beside me to comfort me.

Gerard's P.O.V

"Mikey's getting married today," I said. "Izzy is gonna have the baby any day now. I'm so scared."

I looked in front of me and waited for a response, knowing that I wouldnt get one but imagining one in my head.

"I guess it will come naturally to me, but I'm so worried about being like, the world's worst father," I continued. "Izzy never wanted to have children, so I always felt like I was burdening her. Let's be honest, this pregnancy wasn't exactly planned. Not only that, but I know she didn't want children after our first miscarriage. I just feel like if I do anything wrong, I'm gonna be at fault. I don't know, what do I do?"

I waited for a response again, trying to picture what she would say if she could speak back to me.

"I guess you'd tell me to just carry on," I smiled. "And though you're dead and gone believe me, your memory will carry on."

I laid down a flower at her grave. The wind was blowing and the graveyard was still and silent.

"See you soon Grandma," I said with a smile, before standing up and getting ready to leave. As I turned around, I bumped into a familiar face.

"I thought I'd find you here," she confessed.

I sighed and looked down at my feet awkwardly, shifting the dirt from the earth between my shoes.

"I'm sorry that I left you," I replied, refusing to meet her gaze.

"Why wasn't I invited to Mikey's wedding? You promised that our break up wouldn't mess up my friendships with all of you guys, but I didn't hear from any of you since you left me."

"I...I...we....wouldn't it be awkward for you? Seeing me and Isabel, and the baby?"

"Awkward isn't the right word," she said. There was a sadness in her voice that I had never heard from her before. Lindsey was a strong woman who was always happy and energetic, but a haunting sadness resonated in her voice that I had never heard from anyone before. I looked up and stared directly at her. She looked as beautiful as ever, but the only difference was that I didn't feel anything romantic towards her. I recognised her beauty, and I felt strongly towards her as a person, as a friend, but nothing more. I had always been in love with Isabel, and Lindsey had known this from the beginning. I had loved Lindsey, but was I ever in love with her? No.