Chapter 8

“Second Chance Romance”

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 8    

    Jade let out an exaggerated sigh.  What was she doing?  Standing here, with nothing but a towel wrapped around her, kissing the daylights out of Oliver.  What kind of example was she setting for her daughter?  This was so unlike her it wasn’t even funny.

    Holding up her hand; she addressed Oliver.  “Can you please just give me a minute to put something on,” she said tiredly.  “We’ll talk later,” she told him, looking pointedly in Libby’s direction.  

    For a long minute Oliver just stood there; staring at her, his face void of any emotion.

    “I promise that we‘ll talk later,” she pressed further.  After a terse silence between them, he finally responded with a curt nod of his head.  Turning around, effectively dismissing her, he smiled down at Libby.  “Why don’t you show me what you were doing in the living room little bit.”

    Libby grinned from ear to ear.  She loved attention and especially when it came from Oliver.  He was always so nice to her and that made her feel extra special.  “O-tay,” she said excitedly.  “Follow me Olly.”

    Jade watched as her daughter held out her small hand and Oliver’s much larger one grasped it; letting the tiny child lead him into the living room.  That little display of affection warmed her deep to the marrow in her bones. 

    Seeing him; so tender with her daughter sparked a longing in Jade that she had never before even considered.  She wanted a family.  A whole family that included someone who could be a loving father to Libby as well as a good partner for herself.

    Could Oliver be that person?  She wrestled with the idea in her mind and decided that a decision didn’t have to be made tonight.  This time she had to be sure before she dove head first into a serious relationship.  She had to be certain because this time; she not only had herself to think about; she had a daughter too.

    When they disappeared from her sight; she quickly ran to the dryer and grabbed her clothes.  With the freshly warmed garments in her hand; she dashed back to her bedroom and dressed as fast as she could.  Standing in front of the mirror, she brushed her hair and noticed her still slightly swollen lips. 

    Setting the brush down on the bathroom sink; she touched her sensitive lips and reflected on the kiss.  She remembered the warmth of masculine lips covering her own.  The taste of coke and a hint of chocolate.  The feel of strong fingers tangling in her hair.  A kiss that blew her away but when she opened her eyes; to her own chagrin it wasn’t Oliver’s kiss that she was remembering.  It was Austin’s.

    Disappointed in herself, Jade stared at her frowning reflection in the mirror.  Why in the hell would she remember Austin’s kiss over Oliver’s.

    Austin was an ass.  She didn’t want a thing to do with him and if she never saw him again; that would suit her just fine.  Irritated with her self, she turned away from the mirror and headed out of the room. 

    She was determined to salvage what was left of the evening; enjoy a nice dinner with Oliver and her little girl and then when Libby was tucked into bed she would simply explain what happened on the street with Austin.

    That kiss only took her by surprise. It was a mistake and one that she had no intentions of repeating.

    “Mama,” Libby cried when she appeared in the doorway.  “You look pretty.”

    Jade bent down and picked up Libby.  “Why thank you little Miss.  You are looking mighty pretty yourself too.”  Libby giggled and hid her face in her mother’s neck.  Jade wrapped her arms around her and glanced up; her gaze meeting with Oliver’s.  “Are you hungry?” She asked him with a hint of a smile.