Chapter 11

“Second Chance Romance”

 2012 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 11

     Walking out of the police station, Jade was confused.  She wasn't sure what to think of the whole Austin, Oliver situation. Was Austin being for real, did he really mean what he said or was he just hurt?  Was he really done with her?  If so, isn't this what she wanted, shouldn’t she be happy?  She’d been down that road before and even though he set her heart on fire it was the past. This time, for Libby's sake she had to make sure she made the right choices. It wasn't about her anymore because she was amom and Libby's happiness was her one and only priority.

     “Mama?” She heard her name being called and came back to reality.

     Jade stopped and glanced down at her daughter.  It was dark out now; the only light illuminating the street was the town’s singular lamp post.  It was eerily quiet because everyone was at the game.  Bending down so that she was on her daughter’s level she gave her hand a little squeeze. “What is it baby?” she questioned.

     The little girl blinked and furrowed her tiny brow. With a whimpering note in her voice she asked;  “What about Jeffrey mama, are we still going to see Jeffrey?”

     Jade closed her eyes.  She knew Libby had been looking forward to the game all week because Oliver had promised her he would take her to meet Jeffrey the Bull Dog.  And now, after all that had happened today she was afraid she was going to have to break her little heart and tell her that she wouldn’t be able to meet him after all. 

     Breathing out, she opened up her eyes and catching a stray curl that was lying across her daughters right eye, she impulsively lifted her hand and brushed it back. Looking at the hurt in her little girl's face she was unsure of what to say.  Nothing she could say would change the way her little girl was feeling but she knew she had to say something.

     “Sweetie,” she started, trying her best to think of a way to frame the words just right, “We’re…”

     “We’re running a little late but if we hurry up, we can make it before half time."  Hearing the familiar voice, Jade glanced over her shoulder and stared up at Oliver.  He was standing on the top step, hands shoved in his pockets, looking very unsure of himself.  When he noticed her eyes were on him, he mouthed to her, ‘I’m sorry," which in turn, he received a prompt roll of her eyes towards him. 

     But Libby’s face lit up with a grin that would melt the devil’s only son's heart.  She looked up at Olly with hopeful eyes.  “Really?  You mean I can still meet Jeffrey."  Turning back at her mom she cheered, ”Did you hear that mom, I can still meet Jeffrey if we hurry up?" Let's go mom, let's go, we have to hurry."

     Oliver took the steps two at a time, then slowed as he approached Jade and the little girl that had already managed to steal his own heart.  He held Jade’s gaze for a long moment and tried his best to covey just how sorry he was about the whole situation. He had no excuse for his actions and knew he had let his personal feelings get in the way of his duties and responsibilities.

     The only reason he challenged Austin to begin with was because of his own left over high school insecurities and a burning jealousy that he always had of him.  However, none of that crossed his mind when he found himself rolling around rumbling in the dirt like a teenager, back in high school, fighting over a girl.