twenty two

"I've got some issues that nobody can see."
-Soundtrack 2 My Life, Kid Cudi
________________________________

The day passes in a blur of concerned thoughts about Alec and Jasper and even more concerned thoughts about the blood.

What Jasper had said at breakfast this morning just before he left has got my head hurting with anxiety. Jasper likes me. Apparently Alec likes me too, according to Jasper. I like them both. But with this whole waking up with blood on my hands- literally- predicament, it's probably the furthest thing on my mind right now.

After last period, I jog down the steps that lead up to the main entrance, noticing Alec and Jasper stood a few feet apart. I approach them, and greet, "You ready for another evening with Mr Jefferson?"

Alec laughs, sweeping his stray locks over his head and rolling his eyes at the very thought of the groundskeeper. "It can't be much worse than yesterday, can it?"

"I vote otherwise," Jasper replies as we begin a quick journey back into the woods towards Mr Jefferson's house.

It's colder today, the strong winds making the trees howl and our bodies shiver. The sky is a deep grey, and somewhere far off I can hear the low grumble of thunder.

"So, Liv, you wanna hang out after this thing is over?" Alec asks from in front of me while the three of us walk along the narrow path briskly.

Jasper is behind me, and before I can respond, he mutters, "I'd love to hang out with you guys."

"It wasn't an open invitation," Alec hisses over his shoulder.

"Sure it was, we're all friends here..." Jasper mumbles, setting me further on edge.

Alec stops in his tracks and spins around abruptly. I nearly plough straight into him, but stop just in time. Jasper raises his eyebrows and folds his arms, a daring glint in his icy eyes.

"Let's get something straight, pretty boy, we are not friends," Alec grunts. I'm stood in the middle of them, watching uncertainly. They're both taller than me by a lot, so as they draw level, it's like watching two broad bulls facing one another. "We may be stuck in detention together, but this isn't some messed-up version of The Breakfast Club. It doesn't mean we'll develop an unexpected friendship, you got that?"

Jasper rolls his eyes, shooting me an unimpressed look. "Is he always this dramatic?"

Alec scowls and exhales through his nose. "Don't test me."

"Don't give me another reason to," Jasper snaps, taking a step closer. The thunder grumbles louder, the storm getting closer.

"Stop it!" I interrupt, wedging myself between them and pushing them apart. "I've had enough of this. I'm tired of your bickering. Both of you." I shoot them both a look, before stepping aside and continuing to walk down the trail, leaving them standing in place a few meters behind me. "Come or don't. But we've got detention. And right now, that's our common ground."

I walk away, and after a moment of silence, I hear footsteps following behind me. I don't turn around, and even when I make it to Mr Jefferson's house, I head straight to his door and knock.

Great. No response.

"Surprise surprise, the bastard's ignoring us again," Jasper says from behind me. I begrudgingly move away from the door, gazing at the trees as the bad feeling returns.

You shouldn't be here, a voice mumbles from the darkest crevices of my mind.

My heart skips a beat, and I fold my arms across my chest. "What?" I say to the voices, fear curling around my words like a pair of claws.