twenty seven

"I'm still living in the middle of a one-way war."
-Love; Not Wrong (Brave), EDEN
________________________________

The second Alec's fist comes into contact with Jasper's face, all hell breaks loose. The two groups collide with the adrenaline of battle, hitting and punching and falling to the floor. It's chaos, and many of the Wallflowers stand abruptly and race out the door.

Sky and her friends just watch, completely in awe at the spectacle, not moving their eyes an inch, even when I sneak out of their proximity and rush towards the fight.

I can't see Jasper anywhere, but I do see Alec beating down a boy wearing a white waistcoat and sneakers. His anger has only intensified since he was speaking to Jasper, but after that heavy punch to Jasper's face, I doubt he is thinking enough to calm down.

I weave in and out of the chaos, weary of being punched myself. I notice a body on the floor, the pixie-cut girl- Molly- crouching above him worriedly. And I realise at the exact point I see his blonde hair and closed eyes who it is- Jasper.

I fall onto the floor beside him, whispering his name with a tight throat. He's unconscious, and Molly only seems as worried as I am. I look up towards her, and ask quickly, "What do I do?"

She doesn't inch her eyes from Jasper's unmoving body, and I notice a purple bruise forming along his jaw and blood seeping out of his split lip. "Can you get him to the infirmary? It's near here- head up the stairs and go straight on instead of left or right to the dorms. It leads you straight there."

I nod hurriedly, and rest one of his arms over my shoulders and pull Jasper's body up. He is heavy, that's for sure, but he could be in serious danger if I don't help him. Molly nods and turns around, consequently pulling a Sosio out from the harsh grip of a Fighter.

I wrap my other arm around his waist when I finally manage to stand, before hobbling out the room as quickly as I can under his body weight.

I shuffle along the foyer and towards the stairs- the difficult part. I take one step, and with Jasper only half-walking, everything becomes about ten times harder.

Jasper stirs and squints his eyes, mumbling my name in a weak voice.

"Jasper, Jasper, it's me. It's Olivia," I reassure, gripping his waist tighter.

"Hmm, Olivia, Olivia..." he murmurs incomprehensibly like he's singing a song, eyes still half-closed.

"I need to get you to the infirmary, Jasper. But I need you to help me, alright? You need to help me."

He does what I think is a nod, before lifting his foot agonisingly slowly onto the first step.

A few steps up, I lose my footing under his weight and stumble onto the stairs, grazing my cheek against the floor. "Owww..." I moan, lifting myself up slowly and bringing Jasper back up with me, who doesn't seem too fazed by the fall.

It takes a long time, painfully long, but we make it to the top, where I hobble along the corridor until I make it to the infirmary door.

Letting go of the hand that's wrapped around my shoulders, I twist the door handle and stumble inside. It is a large room with a tall ceiling and windows covering the entire back wall, letting in streams of natural light. Beds line the side walls, with drips and curtains. A few are taken, but the smell of medicine is joined by the sound of silence.

The nurse spots us and rushes over, forcing Jasper from my arms and taking him away.

***

I wake a long time later, head resting on my arms that are perched on the side of Jasper's hospital bed. Thankfully, the nurse let me stay with him. It's dark outside the window, maybe late evening.

Jasper is asleep, but the bruise along his jaw isn't looking any better. It's silent in the room, but their are lots of students sleeping in beds. The fight must've ended. However, the large number of beds being used in here tells me that it ended well.

Shuffling quietly in my seat, I look up at Jasper, and gently stroke the beautiful mess of his blonde hair.

He begins to stir, and I pull my hand away. His eyes flutter open gradually, and he smiles softly when he sees me. "You stayed?"

"Of course I did," I reply, locking my hand with his at his side.

"What happened?" he asks, sitting up.

He winces, and I gently push him back down into lying position again. "You don't remember?"

"I remember walking into the dining hall, and Alec punching me, but nothing after that."

"Alec knocked you out cold. Molly told me to take you here, and we've been here for..." I check the clock above the door. Woah. I've been here all day. Guess I missed today's lessons. "We've been here all day. Are you feeling alright?"

"I think I broke a rib from being kicked after I was knocked out, but it could've been worse," he says honestly. I imagine someone kicking Jasper in the ribs while he wasn't conscious. It only makes me angry, so I shake the image away.

He sighs heavily after a moment of silence. "We shouldn't have done what we did. I put my friends in danger."

I take hold of his hand again and squeeze reassuringly. "Hey, you were angry about Jacob. And you had every right to be. Don't blame yourself for what happened back there, okay?"

He pauses, before finally nodding.

"Olivia, go get some sleep. I'll be fine here," he assures, putting his hand onto the side of my face soothingly.

I put my hand on top of his, and reply quietly as not to wake the other students, "I'm not leaving you."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Neither am I."

He rolls his eyes mockingly, before breathing out resolutely through his nose. "You do what you want."

I smile and he slowly closes his eyes, his chest rising and falling softly.

And just seeing him this vulnerable, this innocent, this peaceful...it makes me want to protect him more than I ever have. I don't want to see Jasper getting hurt again by the Fighters, or by whoever killed Jacob, or by me.

Which is why I need to tell him about Alec.

But tomorrow. Tonight, he should sleep soundly.