Ch. 1

Work and school is just the norm for me. Lately it's only been work since I just earned my bachelors degree in Arts.

Writing has always been my thing since I was a teenager. College professors told me to write a ten page essay, I wrote fifteen. Or more. I can write anything really. And I don't ever intend on stopping either.

"Rose, you ok?"

I look at my customer, not realizing how busy the bar has gotten. "I'm fine. What can I get ya?" I smile, as taught. The more you smile the more you sell.

"Just a whiskey. On the rocks." The young man smiles at me, eyes fixed on my chest. I've learned not to think too much of it anymore. People get drunk and stupid. I should know that all too well.

Even if they're not drunk, it's my job to keep everyone who comes in here pleased. "Sounds good." I sigh a smile, reaching for the whiskey bottle. It really does sound great right now, but I can't even afford to have one sip. And I'm not talking money wise.

"Thanks, Rose." He smiles, before I leave to tend more people.

Before I know it, it's 10 PM. "Get outta here, Kid." My Boss says, letting me know that I can leave.

"See you tomorrow chief."

After grabbing my bag, I can finally leave for my favorite part of the day. When I get to go home to my boyfriend of two years, Zach. His blue, but green eyes are intoxicating, his dirty blonde hair drives me crazy, and his pink lips are ideal for kissing.

Trust me, his lips are all I need after a long day at work. Especially when you work at one of the most popular night clubs in San Francisco.

A quick drive home and I'm there.

Rushing to get to Zach, I stumble into the apartment. "Babe?!" There's no response until I'm halfway down the hall.

"Hey!" His voice sounds a lot higher than his usual deep tone. I stop in my tracks when something red catches my eye. They aren't my panties. There's a lot of noise coming from our or my room when he repeats, "Hey, Baby!"

Anger fuels my actions as I push the door open, taking in the scene in front of me. I nearly drop to my knees at the sight of a now half naked Zach standing next to the bed where my sister is.

Her big brown eyes are full of terror as she tries to cover her bare body with my bed sheets.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" My temporary sadness from seeing Zach is replaced with more anger.

"I-I um." Erin stutters, looking back and forth between Zach and I. Is she really looking at him for help right now?

"She was just, uh.. Just. Hel..Ping.. Me?" Zach says more as a question than a statement.

"Do you really think I'm that stupid?!"  I yell tears wanting to escape my eyes, but I refuse to let them. The last thing I want is for Zach to get the pleasure of my tears over him.

"B-Baby I can-"

"NO. Just please." The stinging in my eyes hurts too much now. "Leave." I walk out of the room to let the cascade of tears stream down my face. How did I let this happen? Why would he ever want to do this to me. To the girl he supposedly loves.

I'm pacing the living room when I hear Zach's heavy footsteps run down the hall until he reaches me. He grabs ahold of my wrist, spinning me around to face him. "Rosie, please."

"DON'T call me that." I flinch away, wiping my eyes with my index finger and thumb. "Leave, Zach."

As if on cue, Erin comes looking after us and begins to ramble, "Rose, please just let me ex-"

"WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?" I snap at my pale faced sister. She doesn't say a word. Instead she moves closer to Zach. "OH! You think he's going to protect you now?"

"Rose, stop." Zach tries to soothe me by gently grabbing my shoulder. I instantly pull away and stare at him with a smug smile that I will soon regret. "Stop! Stop what? Being mad at my only sister for sleeping with my boyfriend? YEAH! I will stop when you get the fuck out. Both of you."

My head is spinning by now and them not moving doesn't help. "Now!" I growl. That's enough for my sister to leave.

She looks back at me, frowning. "I'm sorry."

I purse my lips, not saying anything that I will regret. Even if I'm 100% pissed off at my sister.

My body finds the couch to sit on. I stare at the floor waiting for Zach to leave too. I've only felt this way once in my entire life. When my mother died from alcoholism.

My chest feels like it's on fire, there's a sharp pain right in the pit of my stomach, there's a lump in my throat that feels like the size of a tennis ball, and I can't even see straight from all the tears.

The slam of the front door makes me look up, hoping I'm alone now, but instead I see Zach still standing in front of me. I shake my head, quietly sobbing into my hands in attempt to make the pain in my throat subside.

"Rose." He whispers, sitting down next to me. "I." He stops and I hear him sigh in frustration. He would sigh like this when we fought or when we lost a football game. I would take any relationship fight over this right now.

"You what?" I look to my right at him with tear stained cheeks.

"I want to say I can explain, but.. I can't." He runs his hand through his hair, eyes becoming glassy.

"How could you? After two years you just decide to cheat?" I search his face for any sign of sympathy.  When I don't find it, my eyes go back down to the carpet again. "You said.. You said you wanted to marry me."

He sighs again, still messing with his hair. "I know. I don't know what to say except for I'm sorry."

"You wouldn't have to be if you didn't cheat on me."

Zach being silent is never a good thing. "You know this all started two months ago?" He grins for the first time in the last ten minutes.

My heart stops at those words. I swear I could just hit him right about now. "Get your shit and leave."

"I live here too."

"The hell you do. My name's on the lease, not yours. Leave since you don't care." If he doesn't move soon, I will throw his things out for him. Luckily he goes and I walk out to the patio. How did this happen? Why did this happen?

I loved him with all my might. I told him everyday too. I don't even want to know the answers to my questions. I'm already sick to my stomach.

At this moment I want nothing more but a drink. But I can't. I have been 2 years sober now..

Don't ask why I'm a bartender and a recovering alcoholic, I make it work. Zach was the one who saved me. He got me help and stayed with me throughout everything. Until now. Even though my hatred for him is at an all time high right now, I will be forever grateful.

I came outside hoping that some air would help, but it's summer. Even summer nights suck ass here. All I'm getting is hot and humid winds. That's not helping at all.

I must have been out here for a while though because when I go back inside, Zach's gone.

My room looks bare with only my things in it. I sit down on the bed and I feel something under my bum. It's a note: I really am sorry. I didn't want it to end this way. - Zach

P.S. You really must be stupid though if you didn't suspect anything in the last two months.

I rip the note in half, getting up to strip the sheets from my bed. Fucking asshole left his nasty sheets for me to clean.

I should just burn them. That might be easier to deal with.

Good? Sucks? Let me know! Take a look at the cast so you can see who I envision as each character! I'm starting this new book and I hope I have better luck with this one than my other two books.. xx