Chapter Three: Secrets Unraveled

;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Chapter Three
Secrets Unraveled
:::::::::::::

(This is another background-ish kind of chapter. It's got some stuff, some stuff is revealed, some is like WHOAH BRO I KNEW THAT WHY [so bear with that. XD please])

I run back to the kitchen, hug my mom, and tell her I'm leaving with Maximoff.

He holds my neck with one hand and wraps his arm around me with the other. "Uh, Maximoff, what the he--"

"Saving you from whiplash," he says, whooshing down the road to his house.

He stops in front of a beautiful house. It's amazing. It's not average size, no it's huge.

He goes around the back and tried to sneak down the stairs, but his mother catches him. "PIETRO MAXIMOFF, GET UP HERE RIGHT NOW!" she shouts. I freeze, poised right at the back door. I'd refused to go less than five feet behind him. I made it fifteen, and it saved me from that.

Maximoff sighs and trudges up the stairs. "Motherrrr," he draws out. "I'm just going downstairs!!"

"Uh huh. With your girlfriend?" she says, staring accusingly at me.

Pietro chokes on air, coughing and slashing his hand next to his neck in the "no/cut/ whatever that is" sign. He finally gets out, "We're just friends, mom. We just met today. Don't freak out."

I wave at his mom. "Hey." Smile. "I'm Tessa MacTaggert, pleased to meet you."

"Mac--MacTaggert? Charles Xavier's daughter?"

"Uh, yeah. How'd you know--oh, your husband is Erik. You'd know him then," I say, having unraveled that one.

"Pietro, get away from her."

"What?" Maximoff says in surprise. "No! She's my friend! She's like me!"

"I don't care! You won't hang around that man's family," she says, spitting out "that man" in disgust.

"Don't talk about my father that way!"

"You never knew him!! Why would you care?!"

"He's still my father!! That is no way to treat anyone, let alone a dead man! That is just wrong on so many levels. Just because he's not alive to defend himself doesn't mean you can ju--"

Mrs. Maximoff cuts me off, her eyes wide. "Charles is... he's dead?"

I look at her in disbelief. "Yeah. It was your husband... boyfriend's fault! He shot the bullet into my dad's spine, paralyzing him, making him die a few days later! Don't play dumb with me!"

"Your father... He didn't die a few days after he got shot! He didn't die at all! He's... he's alive and very well. Well... Besides the paralyzing, but Hank made a remedy for that...."

"What the hell are you talking about?! My father is dead. My mother still isn't over it. Do up I really think she'd make up something like that? If you do, you don't know my mother."

"Oh, I do know your mother. Do you?"

"Yes. Her name is Maria MacTaggert. She married my dad. Dad died. Had me. I've not made her life the easiest, but we work together, and we've made it through. That's who my mother is."

"Your mother's name is Moira MacTaggert. She didn't have the chance to marry your dad. They didn't even get to date because he erased her memories of him and sent her back to the CIA to keep her safe. He didn't even give her a choice. Now tell me if that's kind! Tell me if that's a good father, a good man."

I look at her, trying hard not to cry. Or scream. Or do both plus throw a freaking vase at her nutcase head. But, I can't. So the best I do is run downstairs. Yep. That's right. I don't even run outside. Because then, who knows? I might end up going home and annoying the crap out of my mother until she tells me the truth. This is the safer route.