Chapter 10

About half-way back to the house, Levi turned off the road and onto a slightly worn path that I'd never noticed, running through the woods. Within a few minutes, the trees thinned and gave way to a clearing, surrounding a small lake.

If my mind hadn't been occupied with more pressing matters, I'd have been interested in exploring this place. It would make a lovely destination for picnics or other activities with the children.

But at the moment I was eager to hear the explanation that Levi promised, and so I tried to wait patiently as we sat together on a log, overlooking the lake. He'd been very quiet so far, and even though I guessed he was having trouble finding the right words, the way I had not too long ago, it was becoming difficult to be patient.

"Levi?" I finally prompted after what felt like ten minutes of sitting in silence.

When he turned to face me, he looked strange. Maybe I just wasn't used to him seeming so somber. It made me nervous.

"A while ago, Minnie decided to open her home to people who need help." His chosen subject surprised me.

"Originally, she intended to help certain kinds of people..." He paused, watching me for a second, seeming to deliberate over his next words. "She wanted to help girls who work in places like saloons, to be able to get out of that kind of life. One of the biggest reasons a lot of them stay where they are is because they have no place else to go."

Based on what I knew of her, Minnie's kindness wasn't unusual, but I didn't understand why she felt strongly enough about it to be quite so involved. Or what it had to do with me.

"Over the years she's had a lot of girls stay with her. It kinda became common knowledge around town that most of them came from the types of places they did."

He was quiet again, making sure I understood the connection and I glanced away.

That explained it, I guess. I mentioned to the Snedekers that I was staying with Minnie and they assumed the worst. And then they spread it around to the rest of the church. I wanted to be angry at the injustice, but apart from the gossip and repercussions, it was the same thing I did to Levi.

"So you see," he said. "It's nothing you did. It's only because of where you're staying. I'm sorry we didn't warn you, it's just..."

I looked at him, wondering why they hadn't thought to tell me anything. At least I'd have understood why people started treating me differently. I'd have known to be wary of that man.

"It's just that you're so different from anyone who's stayed before, I didn't think...we didn't want you to worry about..."

I looked at him semi-incredulous. Obviously I was different.

"You behave differently," he clarified. "The other girls wouldn't leave the house, if they even left their rooms. They almost never went into town and certainly never went to church. If they went anywhere, they'd know what to expect from people. I just didn't realize it might be such a problem for you."

It was so absurd and horrible and....almost familiar, I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry. Were people always so terrible? It didn't seem to matter if I was in England or America, or what type of contact I had with certain men.

But at least I knew it was nothing I had done.

"I'll understand if..."

I wondered why Levi suddenly sounded so hesitant.

"If you want me to drive you to the train station or something," he finished.

"You think I want to leave?" I asked.