Chapter 25

Levi

It was amazing how many hoops you could get people to jump through with enough money. I was trying not to be too disgusted by that fact since it had worked in my favor, but it still made me sick.

The authorities hadn't cared a bit that there might have been a murder and a cover up. Not until I started throwing money at them of course. The large "donation" and the promise of a second one after they'd resolved everything, apparently made uncovering the truth their top priority.

At least there would be some justice though. Not that it really fixed anything. Charles would never have to pay for what he'd done. Glad as I was that he was dead, the ease of it was extremely unsatisfying. He deserved to suffer. A lot.

Sighing and forcing those thoughts out of my mind, I glanced at the paper in my hand to check the address once more before pulling the door open and entering the small shop. A bell jingled over my head and a middle-aged woman with red hair looked up from behind the counter.

"Hello," she said pleasantly. She looked so much like Annie, any doubt that I was in the right place, instantly vanished.

I smiled and moved closer, feeling strangely nervous. Usually the opinion of strangers didn't concern me very much, but this woman mattered. She mattered to Annie, so she mattered to me.

"How can I help you?" she prompted when I stood in front of her.

"Good afternoon, Ma'am." I tipped my hat. "I'm..." I hesitated, unsure how to begin this conversation. 'I'm your son-in-law' probably wasn't the best starting point.

"What an interesting accent." She smiled.

I laughed nervously, but felt a little more at ease. It was so strange to be the one with the accent, but here, everyone sounded like Annie. Oliver would love it.

"Thank you. My name's Levi James. I'm here about your daughter," I said, deciding it was best to get right to the point.

Curious now, she glanced to the right at the two brunettes that I hadn't noticed before. They glanced up from whatever they were working on at the table, and again I was struck by their resemblance to Annie. They must be her sisters.

They seemed interested, and the younger one smiled. The older one was more cautious.

"I actually meant your other daughter," I said, looking back to their mother.

She seemed startled and glanced at the two girls again.

"You know my Rosie?" she breathed.

She was obviously worried, and even though I was sorry for it, I was a little glad too. Annie's fears that they might reject her were clearly unnecessary.

"Yes, Ma'am." I smiled.

The girls quickly joined their mother and they all watched me expectantly.

"I, uh..." I hesitated for a moment and cleared my throat. "Well, she's sort of my wife."

They all looked stunned for a moment before the older woman looked sad.

"You must be mistaken," she said. "My daughter's already married."

"No, Ma'am," I said. "Charles is dead. Annie-" I stopped myself. "Rose and I were married after it happened."

They exchanged stunned looks again, and clearly didn't know what to say.

"Is there...somewhere we might talk?" I asked. This was going to be a long story, and I thought it best not to risk being interrupted by customers.

The three women glanced warily at each other before they focused on me again.

"Certainly," Annie's mother said, standing. "Lily, the door."

The elder of her daughters quickly went to lock the door and turned the sign so that it read "closed" on the outside.

"Right this way." The older woman indicated that I should follow her through the doorway and into the back of the shop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"She goes by Annie," I said, handing over the letter she'd written to her mother.

"Oh, Rosie," she said, dabbing at the moisture on her face with a handkerchief and taking the letter.

"It took her a long time to write that," I said. "Even after it was safe. She was afraid that Charles would have convinced you... well, of a lot of things, I guess."

"He tried." She sniffled and dabbed at her nose. "But I know my girl. I never believed she'd simply run away."

I half smiled.

"I knew there had to be some reason...but I never imagined..." She looked ready to cry again.

"She's doing really well," I said, trying to comfort her. "She doesn't realize how strong she is."

The woman - Bridget, as she insisted I call her - gave me a watery smile.

"Did she give you a message for Lily or me?" Violet asked looking hopeful.

"She doesn't know I'm here," I admitted. "She thinks I only came to handle Charles' estate. I was actually supposed to mail that letter."

Violet looked disappointed, but nodded.

"Actually, I wondered if..." I paused, unsure if it was my place to ask this.

"Yes?" Bridget pushed.

"If you have any ties here?" I said. "I know you have the shop, but... Is there any chance you'd come back with me?"

They exchanged surprised looks again.

"I know it's a lot to ask," I said. "But she misses you. I know it would mean the world to her if you did."

They still hadn't said anything, and I felt compelled to convince them.

"If it's a question of money, I'd happily pay for anything you might-"

I stopped when Bridget touched my hand and smiled.

Returning her smile, I felt hope. If I could give Annie this, she could truly start to heal.

It killed me that I couldn't do anything to ease the pain she still felt from what that miscreant had done to her. Before we were married, I hadn't even realized how much he still affected her. I thought those little quirks of hers were mostly the extent of it, but now I knew about the rest. The worst was the nightmares. I honestly didn't know if it was more helpful to let her deal with them on her own or to try comforting her. Every time she woke from one, she thought I was him for a minute and she'd just become more frightened if I tried to calm her. But if I did nothing, she took longer to come out of it and I felt completely useless, watching her struggle. And then there were the panic attacks. She'd be doing the most normal things, and would suddenly freeze up or start shaking. She always tried to pass it off as nothing, but she couldn't hide the fear in her eyes.

I never imagined that I would hate someone more than I despised my father, but the rage and disgust I had for Charles far surpassed anything I felt before.

But this was something I could do for her. It was the only thing I could even think of to ease some of her suffering. She loved me and she was mostly happy, but I knew the ache for her family only grew as each month passed. Minnie and Mother were fabulous substitutes, but it wasn't the same as having her own mother.

Lily and Violet smiled at each other and then looked at me.

"Are there many available men in your town?" Lily asked slyly.

"Are there any who look like you?" Violet added.

I laughed, feeling light. Maybe this was possible.

By Any Other Nameजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें