Chapter 14

Before I knew it, we were preparing for Christmas. I missed my mother and sisters every day, but there was just something about this season - baking Christmas cookies, stringing popcorn, making gifts, sitting by the fire in the evenings - that made me feel so much more homesick than I usually did. I wished with all my heart that there was a way to talk to them.

I couldn't write. It was bad enough that I'd given in and sent my mother a letter from New York. I didn't really think there was any way for Charles to trace it or to even know I'd written, but I couldn't take the chance now. New York was a vast city and even if Charles had managed to follow me there, it would be nearly impossible for him to find me here. But Marshall, while still a city, wasn't nearly as large. I didn't doubt that it would be relatively easy for him to find me if he had a clue where to look.

So I decided to do my best to push my family from my mind and concentrate on the family I was able to be with and their traditions.

By far the children's favorite tradition was the Christmas party. Minnie invited her friends and neighbors over to sing carols, drink cocoa, light the tree, and just enjoy the festive time together.

I recognized Jasper, the officer I'd met when I first arrived and a few others who lived nearby, but almost everyone else was unfamiliar to me.

I was helping Minnie pass around fresh cups of cocoa when I noticed Levi arrive.

After our conversation by the lake, he'd kept his distance from me, and while I didn't really like it, I'd been grateful for the time and space he was giving me.

At least, I'd been grateful for a while. Now I longed to return to the way things had been before when he would casually joke and tease with no romantic undertone. It wasn't as bad when he came to the house for dinner or other things, since the children mainly occupied his attention, but when he drove us to church on Sundays, our time together was terribly awkward. I still wanted to join him at his church, but couldn't quite work up the nerve to ask again.

Levi greeted several people before his eyes found mine across the room. He smiled warmly and my heart swelled in hope as I sent him an answering smile. Maybe he was finally able to let go of his ideas and resume our friendship.

I milled around the room, getting to know some of the neighbors a little and was just about to make my way over to the tree that people were beginning to light, when I turned around and almost ran into Levi.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, narrowly avoiding crashing into his chest.

He just smiled. "Merry Christmas," he said. "May I introduce my mother?" He indicated the woman beside him.

I hadn't been expecting to meet Levi's mother. She was absolutely beautiful. Levi had apparently inherited her dark hair and light green eyes, but she stood closer to my height than his. Her hair was pulled into a lovely twist with small curls framing her face, and her red dress was simple but beautiful.

"Merry Christmas." I smiled. "I'm so glad you could join us. I'm Annie." I offered my hand in greeting.

"Abigail." She took my hand and smiled slyly. "I've heard all about you."

My eyes widened and I felt myself blush.

Levi cleared his throat conspicuously and I noticed that his neck seemed a little red.

"Uh, Mother, didn't you want to speak with Minnie?" he said. "She's over by the piano."

Her eyes danced with laughter. "Yes, I did. It's lovely to meet you Annie. I look forward to getting to know you," she said before she released my hand and slipped away.