Apprehension

" Are you afraid Edmon, for tomorrow ? " My brother looked at me with an expression of shock. " Why should we be scared Adelise, we've trained for this moment our whole lives. The grandeur, the parties, ... the men." My brother laughed at my crimson cheeks and gave me a sympathetic smile. " I know it has always been harder for you to interact with men, but at court you must catch a gentleman's eye in order to help the family." I knew my brother was right, but I had heard stories about the so called "glorious" court of France and the king that called the palace home. " It is not the men that scare me, but the king, our family as well as others, of much higher rank, will be introduced to him and his court tomorrow." The silence that followed and his blank face allowed me to elaborate. " What if he finds our family unworthy of his court, they have so many rules and regulations on fashion alone! How are we to keep up with our low position in the nobility?" What my brother said next only impacted my nerves more, " Our family needs us to go, if we stay in Paris our influence will dwindle even more than it already is. That is why it is imperative we create connections and create alliances through marriage." It was now my turn to offer my brother a sympathetic smile. " With your beautiful, blonde hair you will surely catch every woman's gaze, Edmon." He didn't respond, but smiled softly at the ground. " And with your dazzling, brown hair up in curls you will be a smash success." My brother's words made me fearful. I wasn't sure what being a success was or the consequences that came with it. We were broken out of our peaceful discussion under the willow tree by our mother, " Edmon, Adelise come inside we must prepare you both for the party tonight." With that we left our green paradise for the Laurent family manor a few feet away. All I could think about now was Versailles. Edmon helped me up and we started the long walk towards our manor. "What possessed mother of hosting a party the night before we are introduced to the court ?" My brother gave me a knowing look, "you know very well why, Adelise she wants us to socialize with future possible acquaintances. Ones that could help us if so needed." I rolled my eyes, "you mean marriage brother, not quite the same thing." The rest of the walk was silent until we reached the manor. Our mother nearly shrieked when she saw the state of our muddy clothes. " I'm not even going to ask both of you up to your rooms and get ready for dance tonight." We both nodded our heads and snickered all the way up the stairs. The party would be tonight, but all I could think about was Versailles.