A Bloody Chicken

The dance was a country dance, one of fun and amusement, not so stiff and proper like the ones at court. Samuel Andre moved like a chicken with his head caught off, his steps panicked, but determined.

We both laughed at his attempts, his smile resurfacing for the first time since our introductions. And as one dance turned into several we made our way to the refreshment tables.

"You truly are a wonder Adelise Laurent." He nearly spilled his wine on his overcoat trying to speak and drink at the same time. "Thank you Samuel Andre, your dance technique is most intriguing."

"Was that meant to be an insult Miss Laurent? If so, you will have to do better then that." I took a moment to wet my lips before replying. "Of course not sir, I was merely basking in the wake of your talent."

We both held amusement in our eyes before we broke out in modest laughter. That laughter brought many unwanted stares and glaring looks from jealous, young ladies and disapproving elders.

I broke our close proximity quickly, but not before sparing Samuel Andre a quick glance. Sophie, my friend, came quickly into the conversation from the dance floor. She poured herself a drink, nearly spilling it on her blonde hair and orange dress.

Sophie moved closer to me before speaking. " So, cheif of police to his majesty, do tell us of the inner workings of the court so we may prepare ourselves ." Sophie was quit drunk and Samuel Andre seemed shocked by this news.

He turned to me, " you're going to the court?" Before I could explain Sophie cut me off. " Well of course, however else are we to find suitable matches and make our ascensions?" I gave her a look that silenced her and caused her to go back to her almost empty cup.

He spoke again quickly, "It's just you don't seem like the type to enjoy court life." I took his inquiry to heart before speaking, " What is the type then, that would enjoy court? Does one have to have a liking for ambiguous things?" My words came out harsher then intended, I was only embarrassed at my own innocence.

His eyes changed to what I would assume he would use with a prisoner, " I did not mean to offend you and now I will take my leave." He bowed quickly and turned to return to his party.

Fearing he had received the wrong impression of me I quickly tried to fix the situation, " Samuel Andre, I'm sorry for my tone it's just that I believe we are of like mind when it comes to life at court." His eyes changed to a softer emotion and he gave me a head nod in return.

As the party was coming to an end I greeted my mother and brother at the entrance to say goodbye to all the guests. For some reason my brother was missing his jacket and his curls had fallen out of his ponytail. We said goodbye to Sophie and our other friends soon to introduced to the court along side us. The last to leave was Samuel Andre and his men.

I was left alone to give them our farewells. " Thank you for coming it was an honor to host you here in our home." He smiled before replying, something I didn't know would become scarce in the future. " Thank you Adelise Laurent I will look for you in court tomorrow." As he was turning to leave I made a quick decision, " please call me Adelise." We both smiled this time and now it was his turn to speak.

" Adelise, I would also hope that you would call me Andre."

When he left on horseback she could only help, but replay his name in her mind, not knowing the grief that it would cause her.