A Dance

The party was in full swing downstairs and I could not bring myself to join the fray. The main hall, our only hall, held the guests and musicians playing the latest classical music found in France. The guests included local nobility and other youths soon to be introduced to the court and society. This party was a way to celebrate our coming to Versailles.

Versailles was said to be a palace of pure gold. It's walls so great that it was impregnable to outsiders and intimidating to any mere mortal. The king so tall and dominant that he made even the most eccentric aristocrats bend to his will. These thoughts paralyzed her with fear of the days to come. She was taken away from her thoughts by a knock on the door.
"Adelise, woah, you look ... beautiful." My dress was plain, but a colorful green shade that had white lace on the border and my hair was pulled into a bun with a matching ribbon. "Thank you, brother and you look ...." We both laughed at the elaborate ensemble he was wearing. A studded over coat with an ostrich, feathered hat. "You must come down and join us Adelise there is much work to be done.".
" I don't wish to sit at a table stuffing my face and covering for you, while you go off with some lad in the bushes, that is not what I would call work." My words came out louder than intended and he closed the door quickly as to not be overheard.
" I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so loud." My brother came to my bed and embraced me in a hug, one we've shared many times. " it's alright Adelise, but you must come down or your absence will be noted." Silence and a quick sigh was my only reply. Edmon brushed me shoulder and said, " men from the court are sure to come, some say the chief of his majesty's police will attend."

"They all share the same poor reputation Edmon." "Perhaps, but they are not without wealth and of course they are said to be beautiful." I've always told my sweet brother that beauty is a cautious thing because you never know whether it will embrace you warmly or engulf you in its heat.

We eventually made our way into the chaos that was the party. The music and dancing soon swept me away in a whirlwind of fun. I hardly noticed how the room turned quiet when a group of men entered, lead by a man with short, raven locks. My friend, Sophie was pulled away from me and into the crowd. I was ushered to the front by my brother and there we stood with my mother to greet these men.

"Welcome gentlemen, to Laurent house on behalf of my children Edmon, my oldest and Adelise my youngest." My mother, Margaret had a way with words and they came out like velvet with a sharp edge. The men bowed and the leader of the group spoke first. " I'm Samuel Andre, cheif of police for his majesty and these are my men."

Immediately my mother's disposition changed from relaxed to rigid, this man held a high position within the court and worked directly for the king. His raven, black hair fell to his shoulder, shorter than most men's and his eyes were a warm hazel. There were rumors of his cruelty and of his methods, but his smile was pure and genuine from the first moment he entered the room.

"It is an honor to have you here, please enjoy the party." As my mother rose from her curtesy she elbowed me into the direction of the cheif. He smirked at me and his eyes were glued to mine for a short time. Before anymore conversation could take place I pulled away into the crowd, but not before giving a quick goodbye and a curtesy. I found my friend Sophie in distant crowd and we quickly made our way to the dance floor.

"Did you see anyone that was to your liking Adelise?" Sophie's blonde brows moved suggestively along with her question. "Sophie!" " Oh, come on there must have been at least one, I know a few have caught my eye; we will be confined to Versailles by this time tomorrow, live a little." Sophia was always more adventurous then I was, but I was more cautious. "Samuel Andre's eyes have not left you since your introductions." I looked over my shoulder and her assumptions were correct.
He walked over to us and stopped in front of me.

"May I have the next dance Miss Laurent?" With some hesitation I took his hand, "my name is Adelise, Adelise Laurent."