Punishment

POV : Samuel Andre

Watching Adelise walk away from me and into the gates of Versailles left me with an unsteady feeling. The need to protect her and her family was overwhelming.

My attention turned to my second, Gabriel, "the man from the road is waiting for questioning." We both new what questioning meant.

I entered Versailles and walked past women and men alike who tried to throw themselves at me. The women all wore the darkest makeup and the men walked as if they owned the palace themselves. The fact was they all wore masks, fake identities that changed with each passing day.

They had no idea how on the hottest days the sun melted away the masks and saw the courtiers true features. All their lies and deception, but then again some people's masks were so decorated that even the sun had trouble seeing through. Then it was up to others to see for the sun.

The palace slowly turned from golden and beautiful to decaying stone and dried, bloody walls. The screams of prisoners were distinct some had been here for years others, only a few months.

I reached his cell and took in the sight before me. A man, or What was left of him, was hunched over on the floor. He looked up at Gabriel and I with a twisted smile. " What will you do now cheif of police," he spit on the floor in front of my feet. I couldn't help but smile.

" You will tell me why you attacked the Laurent carriage." He looked at me like I was stupid. "Why?"
My patience was already running thin and we hadn't even started. "Yes, you will tell me why you attacked the Laurent carriage on the road to meet his majesty."

He looked at the ground and remained silent. I looked to Gabriel and without a word he handed me a blunt hammer with a thick handle. I brought it down on his hand without any warning and his scream came shortly after.

I lowered myself down to his level, "talk." His watery eyes came up to mine trying to search for sympathy, but I could only see him holding Adelise down in the dirt, while he was on top of her. I brought hammer down again on the same spot, this time blood splattered onto my cheek.

The rat talked quickly," it wasn't us we didn't have a choice the carriages were all to be ransacked he..." The prisoner stopped talking quickly. "Who is he?" The man frantically begged, "please, please don't I can't say." A smirk appeared on my face, " pity." This time I brought the hammer back down on his other hand.

I turned leaving his screams behind me. Gabriel took the hammer and was left to guard the prisoner.

"When I return, the name."