Chapter 189

Castiel doesn't wake up until later that night, when Dean opens door as quietly as possibly. Castiel murmurs something incoherently and squeezes his eyes closed tighter.

"Are you awake?" Dean whispers.

"No," Castiel mumbles.

Dean chuckles softly. "Alright, well, I just wanted to let you know that I'm going home for the night."

"No," Castiel whines, still half asleep.

"No?" Dean repeats, seeming amused.

"C'mere," Castiel mumbles.

Dean does as he's told, and Castiel opens his eyes just enough to see his boyfriend so he can grab his arm and pull him closer.

"Stay."

"Do you want me to sleep here?" Dean asks.

"Mm hmm."

"Okay, hold on." He tries to walk away, but Castiel doesn't let go of his wrist.

"Where are you going?" Castiel mumbles.

"I'm just gonna tell Sam that I'm staying overnight," Dean explains. "I'll be right back, okay?"

Castiel hesitates, then drops his hand. "M'kay."

Dean walks away, and Castiel waits for him to come back. Eventually, he begins to wonder if he really will come back, but sure enough, he does.

"Hey," Dean says quietly.

Castiel just hums in response. He shifts over so Dean can lie down next to him. He waits until it seems like Dean's comfortable, then snuggles up to him.

Dean puts an arm around him and says quietly, "Feeling better now?"

"Mm hmm." Castiel lets out a content sigh. "G'night."

"Goodnight, Cas."

~~~

Castiel wakes up the next morning to Dean blasting "Heat of the Moment" through his phone's speaker.

"Rise and shine, Cassie!"

Castiel groans and reluctantly sits up. "Can you not?"

"Nope!" Dean cups the speaker so the music gets louder. "C'mon, we're leaving in fifteen."

Castiel rubs the sleep from his eyes. "Okay, hold on. I gotta get dressed and try to look like I have my life together."

"Can I be an audience?" Dean jokes with a smirk, following it up with, "Kidding. I'm gonna go load suitcases into cars. I'm assuming yours is all packed, since you haven't unpacked it. Oh, and by the way, Alex is still sleeping, so be kinda quietish."

~~~

The first thing Castiel does after he's gotten dressed is pull the Grammy out of his bag, holding it behind his back as he searches for Lucifer. He finds his brother in the kitchen, chatting with Gabriel.

"Hey, Castiel," Gabriel greets him. "Long time, no see, huh?"

"Yeah, really," Castiel agrees. It has to have been about half a year, he reasons; not since Thanksgiving with the Winchesters in Michigan. "Hey, Lucifer, you left something in California."

Lucifer squints his eyes slightly in confusion. "But I haven't been the California in... a long time."

"Maybe, but you still forgot this." Castiel holds out the Grammy award to him.

Lucifer takes it carefully and looks at it for a few moments. Finally, he asks, "So, what do I do with it?"

Castiel shrugs. "I don't know. What do you want to do with it?"