Chapter Three: What is that?

I am woken up by my phone ringing. It's saturday morning so I know it's not a alarm waking me up from my slumber. I answer the phone call not looking at the caller ID. "hello?" I answer still half asleep. "Allison." A panicked voice said. My blood went cold and i immediately rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. "Daniel?" I ask starting to get worried. "I need you to come to my house as soon as you can." he says calmer now. "Wh-Why is everything okay" "Please just..." The line gets silent for a second. "Just get here."

I hesitate but nod. "Okay i'll be there in a little." I say before hanging up. I exhale and go downstairs to get my keys. I decide not to change because my plain light blue shirt and grey sweatpants were comfy.

I get to his apartment and quickly park. His family had 8 kids. Him being the oldest his parents asked him if he was willing to move out since they didn't have enough room for everyone and didn't want to get a new house and hassle with moving everything. He agreed and they pay for his rent.

I knock softly on the door waiting for him to open. The sound of locks turning quickly appears and he opens the door letting me in. I look at his mole covered face his hazel brown eyes full of tears and distress. "Whats wrong?" I ask putting all our petty problems aside once i see him like this. He grabs my wrist and takes me to his living room. There i see a baby covered in a pink blanket in a baby carrier.

I gasp and cover my mouth tears falling from my eyes as soon as my eyes laid on her. "What is that?" He looks at me his eyes now red. "It's a baby." He whispers. "No shit. Who's?" He runs a hand through his chocolate hair and passes me a piece of paper. I start reading it out loud. "Her birthday was july 30th. Please take care of her, I know you guys will be great parents to whatever you guys name her. Alison with your golden heart and mother characteristics and Daniel I know you will take great care of both Alison and this baby. I'm sorry i had to leave you both with this responsibility but I didn't know what else to do." I continue to cry while reading it as Daniel just looks as the baby.

"What are we going to do?" I ask now both of us looking at the baby right in front of us. No, this can't be real this is just a dream I'm not here. He nervously chuckles. "Is there anything we can do? We can drop her off at the fire department and have them do something." I immediately slap his arm. "We are not leaving her there." I hiss. " Her mother left her here for a reason right?" "You want to keep her? Alison we are barely out of highschool. This is too big of a responsibility for us. Plus she's not our responsibility,She is not ours." I'm about to say something but she wakes up and starts crying. "She must be hungry." i say looking into the diaper bag the mother left with her. I get the bottle and formula and start making the milk.

I used to babysit infants all the time, so I know how to make bottle and how to clean diapers and everything under that. When i'm back with the milk I see Daniel had her in his arms looking at her. So much for not keeping her.

I look at him and slowly hand him the bottle and he starts feeding her, watching her every move. Evey lip twitch and eyeroll when she's falling back asleep. "I'm not saying we are keeping her" He whispers and I perk up. "But I think we should wait till tomorrow to do anything." He says as she finishes drinking her milk and is fast asleep. He looks at me with his hazel eyes that still after three years make my knees weak and I simply nod. He puts her down on the beige couch and heads to the bathroom. He takes off his contacts and puts on what I call the "Mcnerd glasses."

"Can you stay the night?" He asks leaning on the bathroom door. "I don't think i can survive the night without you tonight." He says scratching his eyebrow. "Plus I don't know how to make a bottle not to mention change a diaper." I laugh quietly. Should I mention last week? "Yea I just have text my mom so she doesn't freak out in the morning. I say waving my phone in the air.

"Yea and about last week..." He starts and scratches the back of his neck looking at me through his thick black rimmed glasses I let him continue. "You know what, nevermind it can wait." He says heading upstairs. As soon as his is towards me I do a silent childish fit moving my limbs all over the place. I roll my eyes moving a brown strand of hair out of my face and I go to grab the infant and make my way upstairs wondering where in the world we will put her. I place my hand behind her head and the other on her lower half bringing her up to my chest and quickly adjust. Daniel is taking the pillows off his bed and unfolding the covers.

I look around his room and make a sound with my mouth to get Daniel's attention. "Huh?" He whispers. "Where is she going?" I ask watching to not talk too loud and wake up the baby. He stretches his mouth and looks around as well.

"Can't she sleep in the middle of us?" He looks at me concern filling his eyes. I make a dumb face at him,"I don't know why are you asking me like i'm supposed to know?!" I whisper yell. He rolls his caramel like eyes and mutters "Can't believe we have to worry about this right now." Even though he was whispering the tone of his voice was harsh enough to pierce through my heart.

Was it really that bad to have a baby with me? Maybe he really doesn't love me anymore. My eyes harden. "Mind I give you a little reminder that I could just leave you alone with this week old baby and make my way back to my house." I say making the words sound as bitter as poison. He chuckles. Does he think i'm being funny? "Stop being so stubborn and help me see where we could place her.

I slowly open my eyes. The sound of crying filling my ears. I grunt and look at Daniels alarm. 5:25. I turn towards the baby crying right in between of Daniel and I. It wasn't a dream. This was real, someone left us with their baby.

''''''

word count: 1170

4/1/18

4:01 am