Local Colour

Jeez, Megan. Where’d you come from?’

‘Oh, just dragging my weary bones around the island,’ she said theatrically, as she gestured towards a path hidden in the trees behind them. ‘Who’s this?’ she continued, an oddly hostile note in her voice. She ran her eyes over the old t-shirt hanging off Gary’s lean, muscular frame. ‘Making friends with the tourists again?’

‘Gary.’ He leaned forwards and extended his hand. ‘Nice to meet you …’

‘Megan.’

‘Megan,’ he echoed, meeting her eyes.

There was a frozen moment as the three of them faced each other without anyone knowing exactly what to say next.

‘I need to top up the fuel tanks,’ muttered Sam. ‘I’ll catch you later, Gary. Good to meet you, mate.’

‘Yes, you go and do that, Sam.’ Megan’s eyes narrowed at his departing back. Then she turned to Gary and smiled. That’s when he knew he was in trouble.

The interview became a torrid affair. She questioned, she poked and she prodded. And by the time it was over, she had Gary’s life story summarised, his net worth and marital status featuring high in the narrative. He stood up manfully to the test but was also very aware of the crowd noise coming from the radio behind him as she talked. At least he got to fish and drink beer during his interrogation.

‘So Gary, why not come and visit me at my house for tea tomorrow?’ She pointed down to the luxurious tropical-themed house that fronted the beach a few doors down from Carinya.

‘I, err, well … that’s very nice of you but … I have to …’

‘You have to what? Do some more fishing? No, you are coming to visit me tomorrow. Let’s say about half ten?’

He nodded; it was all he could think of to get rid of her so he could listen the cricket in peace.

A few moments after he’d agreed to their date, Megan said good-bye and wandered back down the beach with a satisfied smile. Gary watched her lithe, departing figure with a mixture of relief and dismay.

Israel materialised at his shoulder. ‘You’ve had quite a social afternoon, my friend.’

Gary grinned. ‘Spying on me, mate?’

‘No, no. Nothing like that. I just happened to be walking along the path behind those trees when I noticed you talking with some people. I was intrigued because I got the impression you’d come out here to be alone with your cricket and your fish and your beer. I strolled on further for a few minutes and when I came back you were still entertaining.’ He nodded towards Megan’s house.

‘Yeah. She gave me the third degree. I couldn’t get rid of her. Don’t know how she did it, but she convinced me to drop by her house and have a cuppa tomorrow.’

Israel pursed his lips as his eyebrows narrowed. ‘Well good for you – she obviously likes you.’

‘Nah, it’s not like that. You should know that better than anyone.’ Gary looked down, reeled in his line and started to pack away his gear. ‘She just wore me down. Bashed away at me until I agreed to go.’

 ‘Never mind,’ sighed Israel. ‘It may not be as painful as you think, Gary.’ The statement was met with silence.  Israel stepped closer, looking as if he wanted to put his hand on Gary’s shoulder but not quite getting there. ‘Come, let’s have a drink and enjoy the sunset before dinner.’

Gary shrugged and pointed at his empty bucket, a slow smile spreading across his rugged features. ‘Might as well, but it’s going to have to be steak tonight.’