Monday Afternoon

Walking home, their feet scuffing up small clouds on the dusty track, Israel had just started to recount his meeting with Jon Morris when a familiar stocky figure loomed ahead of them. ‘G’day, Sam,’ said Gary. ‘Have you met my friend Israel?’

‘It’s good to meet you Sam, and most advantageous. I have a question that I’m sure you will be able to answer for me.’

Sam regarded the slim foreign figure in front of him sceptically. ‘Yeah?’ he drawled, drawing the word out like a question.

‘Yes, I was just wondering how much a trip to the Berowra Waters Inn would cost?’

‘Two hundred dollars if you want a return trip for the two of you.’

‘I see. That seems quite a lot.’ He turned to Gary. ‘Perhaps we should make alternate plans for our dinner on Sunday?’

‘Yeah, I know that seems a little pricey, but it’s a fair old ride down there from here, and I have to cover my costs. Anyway, if money’s an issue, you might want to reconsider. That restaurant isn’t cheap either.’ The boatman reached into his pocket and pulled out a card. ‘Let me know if you decide to make a booking and I’ll get you there. If there’s anything else you want while you’re here, just give us a call. Maybe Gary’ll want a lift to a secret fishing location.’ He winked at the big ex-lifeguard. ‘I’ll see you out on the rocks again sometime, mate.’ He started to turn away, but Israel stuck out his hand.

‘Ah, Sam, there was something else I wanted to ask you.’

‘Yeah?’ This time the word was more of a sigh.

‘I believe you brought two young men across from Brooklyn to the island on Saturday afternoon. You would remember them. I understand they were wearing makeup and unusual clothing?’

‘Yeah, I remember them. Dropped them off near Deep Water round the corner here. What about them?’

‘Well James from the cafe told me he shared a ride with them. He says you gave him a free trip back to the island. Is that correct?’

‘Look, I dunno what this is about, but I don’t like talking about my customers behind their backs, especially ones that come from the island. People talk, you know.’

‘Oh yes, I know.’ Israel leaned towards Sam conspiratorially. ‘This relates to a police investigation into the death of the young woman on Sunday morning. I’m sure you’ve heard about it. I understand the police will soon be knocking on your door to find out more. I happen to know the head of the investigation and I could save them a trip to your house by passing it along. Anything you tell me will be kept in the strictest confidence, I assure you. I’ll only tell the detective inspector himself.’ He smiled cheerfully.

A brief look of concern flashed across Sam’s face. He looked over at Gary who just tilted his head and shrugged his shoulders noncommitally. Eventually, Sam reached a decision. ‘Yeah, well, I suppose if it’ll save them the trip, I’ll tell you about it. You’ll pass it on to them, will ya?’

Israel nodded, now solemn. ‘Can you please tell me about that fare? How did James end up on the same boat as these two young men?’

‘Yeah, all right … so I went over to pick up this young bloke I know. His name’s Shay, and he comes over to the island a fair bit. He’s often with another kid called Evan. They’re in a band or something together. When he wants to come over, he messages me and I shoot across and bring him back.’ A sly look came over his face. ‘He just messaged me a few minutes ago actually. He and Evan are waiting for me over at Brooklyn right now, as it happens.’