The Coroner

The Glebe Coroner’s Court was a long, low red-brick building on Parramatta Road, not far south of the city centre. Gary was upbeat after finding a parking spot close to the front door, rendering them officially early. Israel suggested they take a walk around the block to soak up the time before their appointment.

They strolled briskly down concrete footpaths, the heavy, urban traffic humming past. Out of habit, Israel glanced skywards every now and then in the hope he would glimpse a friend or two. A few pigeons roosted on dirty, dreary walls, but that was all. Too much noise to distinguish any song. The city could be a stimulating environment for many people, but it was no place for a bird lover. As they turned the last corner, a familiar face waited for them.

DI McKinnon scowled as they approached the main entrance to the Coroner’s Court and folded his arms high against his chest, his chin materialising out of his fleshy throat. ‘What are you two doing here?’ he growled.

‘How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life,’ quoted Israel under his breath. Then he grinned and addressed the police officer directly. ‘The same thing you are, Detective, I imagine. We have an appointment with a medical expert to discuss the suspicious death of Roxanne Dun … ’

‘You can wipe that infuriating smile off your face, Professor. I know I said I’d provide you with appropriate information relating to this case. I will not, however, be dragging you around to all the interviews I’m proposing to hold, particularly interviews with high-ranking professionals like the coroner here.’ He pointed up the front stairs. ‘You and your …’ he glanced at Gary ‘… friend will just have to turn around and head home, I’m afraid. There’s nothing for you two here.’

With that, he turned, marched up the stairs and punched at the intercom button with his finger. ‘McKinnon here, Sandra. I have an appointment to discuss the forensic pathologist’s report with the coroner.’  He announced this loudly enough to ensure the two men standing at the bottom of the stairs would hear.

‘I assure you, Detective, this meeting is purely coincidental. We have no desire to be …’ The buzz of the door as it was activated, opened, and then slammed shut drowned him out.

Gary looked at his friend and shrugged his shoulders. ‘Looks like someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. I’d hate to disappoint him and not make it into the building.’

Israel winked and ushered him up the stairs with a swish of his arm. ‘Never fear. I don’t think you will be disappointing the Detective Inspector this afternoon.’ He pushed the intercom button and in a small, polite voice asked to see Doctor Karen Winkle. After a few seconds the buzzer sounded and Gary reached across to pull open the door.

‘So you know the coroner personally, do you Israel?’

‘Oh no. I do not even know her name.’ He observed his friend’s confusion and filled in the blanks for him. ‘It is not the coroner we are here to see. Doctor Winkle is a herpetologist I have been corresponding with. She has been summoned to the Coroner’s Court to offer her opinion on this case today, so I arranged to meet her here. I felt it would be convenient.’

Given the building’s function, the reception area was surprisingly pleasant. Potted plants were scattered about and daily newspapers had been set out neatly on a coffee table next to some chairs. Israel was surprised to smell fresh herbs, possibly rosemary and mint. A smiling young woman in casual streetwear watched them approach the desk. She inspected Israel’s driving licence and then picked up a receiver and had a brief conversation before she pointed them down a hallway to the left.

‘The third door on the right. Doctor Winkle can see you immediately.’

After a cursory knock and a terse verbal summons they entered to find Doctor Karen Winkle sitting quietly behind a standard-issue desk consulting her laptop. Israel watched Gary’s face register mild surprise and wondered if he was disappointed at the doctor’s appearance. She was an attractive middle-aged woman in jeans and a polo shirt. Had he expected glasses and a lab coat?