Chapter 2: The Cat's Out of the Bag

Chapter 2:

The Cat's out of the Bag

Talk? What in the world did she need to talk about? I frowned, feeling more and more confused as I looked over at her. Her expression was just... hard to read. A weird combination of upset and sadness and nervousness at the same time. "Talk about what mum?" I questioned, my frown deepening. "Who's crying? I mean, what's going on?" I asked her. "Did you and Robin, I don't know, h-have a kid or something?" The thought was pretty out there, but I didn't have anything else to really go on. Why else would a kid be here? I knew for a fact my mum wasn't pregnant when we left for tour, but maybe she wanted to keep it a secret or something. I don't know. Women were strange like that. "What do you have to tell me mum?" I pressed, setting Cookie down on the ground as I looked at her.

She took a really deep breath before leaning back some to look back into the kitchen. "Honey, could you?" Robin, who seemed to be getting a cup of tea or something, looked up before nodding his head slightly and going up stairs. I blinked, glancing between them both. My mum looked at me for a moment before shaking her head. "No Harry, we didn't have a baby." For a moment it looked like she was trying not to laugh. "I'm done having children."

"Then why is someone crying up stairs? Is a cousin visiting or something?" I asked, trying to figure out what in the heck was happening.

"No." She said simply, shaking her head before letting out a heavy breath and running her hand through her hair. "How in the world do I say this...." Her voice was a light mutter, more to herself than anything and a silence fell between us. "Harry," She began, after what felt like forever. "Um... You know what, you shouldn't be hearing this from me." My mum suddenly shook her head, standing up from the couch.

"Hearing what?" I pressed, getting frustrated with the whole situation. Why couldn't she just come out and tell me?

My mum moved to the table in the kitchen, sifting through some papers before returning with a sheet of notebook paper and the phone. I watched as she dialed a number, glancing up towards me before holding the phone out to me. "Mum, what? Who are you calling?" I asked her, feeling pretty agitated by now. My mum gave me a look, that look we all knew, before gesturing for me to take the phone again. I sighed heavily before taking it, raising it to my ear and giving her my own look.

"Hello? Who is this?" I questioned instantly, watching my mum. There was a light gasp sort of noise on the other end and I could tell it was a girl, but nothing beyond that. "Who is this?" I pressed.

"You really don't know?" The sound of that voice made me freeze all together, a look of pure confusion appearing on my face. It was her. Why was it her? Of all people in the world why her? We hadn't talked in years.

I frowned, glancing towards my mum. "Lacey?" I asked in disbelief. "Lacey, why in the world is my mum telling me I need to talk to you? I mean it's been years."

"She hasn't told you then..." Her voice was a mutter before the woman sighed heavily.

"Told me what? I'm tired of everyone beating around the bush here. What aren't you all telling me?" I rose my voice a bit higher than needed, completely fed up with this going back and forth. There was silence on the other end before Lazy sighed to herself.

"Harry... We..." She paused, seeming to take a deep breath before continuing. "You and I have a daughter Harry. She's two, almost three actually, and-"

"Wait, wait. Stop." I interrupted her, trying to make sure I heard her right. Daughter? She and I? No, no that wasn't right. Lacey wasn't pregnant. Lacey was never pregnant. This wasn't making any sense. "Daughter? Lacey, this better not be some sick attempt to get back together or something. You weren't pregnant when I left. I don't know what you're after. Money?" I questioned. We weren't what we are today back then. We were just five boys with a dream. Now we were on tour, we had the DVD and fans. As much as I hated to think that, it would make sense that all of a sudden she wanted a little attention.