Chapter 3: First Impressions

Chapter 3:

First Impressions

I practically ran up the stairs, letting out a heavy breath. I needed to get away. Get away somewhere. My room was that haven, especially growing up before the X Factor and all. I would go there for everything. When I was upset, needed time to think... Then again that was every teenager's sanctuary right? I was no exception.  Reaching up, I pulled off the beanie, pulling my bag along to my bedroom down the hall. "This is insane..." I muttered to myself, pushing open the door and shutting it pretty loud behind me. My room was just as I had left it, a messy bed, things scattered about, the window open a little letting the moonlight in. I was about to get right into bed, not worrying about everything and just sleep.

I deserved it. Then I would wake up to my mum making breakfast and no child. I would be me again. Harry Styles, not a father. I could feel myself smiling slightly at the thought, further convincing myself that it was going to happen that way. The power of the ming was an amazing thing wasn't it? I tossed my bag aside, getting ready to pull off my clothes, only a small sound made me stop dead in my tracks. A little... Well, a little sigh. Or something along those lines.

Slowly, I turned, looking towards my bed. My bed that was moving. Well, something was moving beneath the blankets. I watched in utter confusion as it continued to shift a bit, finally settling down until something peeked out from beneath my covers. Frowning, I took a small step closer to it, kneeling down a little to get a better look. It was... A hand. A little hand. Five little fingers, little nails painted a light blue color. For a moment I just stood there.

This wasn't happening. It couldn't be happening. Swallowing hard, I carefully reached out and pulled back the blanket, slowly, gently. If someone was watching, it probably looked like a scene right out of a horror movie. Peeling back the blanket all slow, a wide eyes expression on your face. As horrible as it sounded, that was what it felt like. I was scared of what was going to be waiting for me, what I would see, because that would make this all the more real and so much harder to avoid.

Taking a deep breath, I pulled the blanket back completely, enough to see whoever was underneath. It was a body. The small body of a little girl curled up in the center of my bed, lying flat on her back. I swallowed hard, looking down at her. This was Layla. My daughter. She was sleeping soundly, having settled down from the noises I was making. I looked at her, taking in her features. Her hair was a dark brown color, somewhat wavy. Definitely not as curly as mine though. She Lacy's nose, that I could tall, but she really looked like the both of us combined into a little person. I could feel myself smiling a bit at the sight of the pink footie set of sleepers she wore, a little cartoon cat on the front. I guess that was one thing we had in common...

I watched as she let out a little sigh once more, shifting slightly. I took a breath before gently returning the covers over her, stopping at her chin not even knowing how the girl managed to get herself under the blankets completely. I moved over to the other side of the room, stripping down to my boxers before moving to my closet, I carefully opened it and pulled out a pillow and an extra blanket I had, plopping the pillow down on the carpeted floor before getting down  myself and trying to get comfortable. I was exhausted, it should be easy enough to fall asleep even if I was on the floor. Luckily it didn't take long at all for me to drift off completely.

I was dreaming, particularly of being up on stage. We were at some venue, doing another concert. Only this time it was literally snowing. The whole place was freezing, my mic was all wet with the melting snow and I wasn't wearing a jacket. Needless to say, I was freezing. I was just about to go over and take Zayn's off of him before I felt something, something weird. I frowned slightly in my sleep, shifting slightly. The feeling stopped for a moment before it started up again. It was like someone was...messing with my hair...? My frown deepening, I peeked open an eye only to see a familiar little hand outstretched over my face, messing with my hair. So, I did what any normal person would have done. I jumped and let out a surprised shout, pulling away from the hand.

I heard a little gasping noise as I quickly sat up just in time to see the little girl swing her hand back down on my face. Right on my forehead. "Ow! What was that for?!" I yelled, looking over towards her as she scrambled to her feet, her eyes filling with what looked like tears. For a moment, I only stared. Why in the world was a kid in my bedroom...? Then it all came back to me. Like being hit with a brick. I blinked quickly before reaching out towards her. "N-No, wait, I didn't mean to scare you, I promise." She looked at me, her face all scrunched up as she let out a little crying noise. Those big, familiar green eyes of hers getting all watery. "If anything you scared me." I said as I looked at her, my voice a little frantic as I attempted to reason with a two year old. "You just don't... touch people while they're sleeping. That's a no no. A big no no." I pointed my finger at her, only to have her cry even more, turning and quickly rushing out of the bathroom. "Layla!" I called after her, letting out a groan.

My first time interacting with my own child and I scared the poor girl. Great. I quickly stood from the floor, heading over to the door only to see my mum coming down the hallway with Layla in her arms. The girl had her arms wrapped tight around my mum's neck, my mum rubbing soothingly at her back. "Harry what happened?" She asked, frowning.

"She hit me!" I said with a small frown, gesturing to her.

My mum seemed to blink, looking at me for a moment. "And...?"

"And she was messing with my hair. She scared me, so I jumped up and she hit me." I explained, frowning some myself.

"Harry," My mum began, shaking her head slightly. "She's two."

"But-"

"She's two." Her voice was much firmer now and she rolled her eyes slightly at me before moving to look at Layla. "Your daddy isn't that smart in the head at the moment I'm afraid. Let's hope you got your mum's brains." Layla looked up at her, blinking before smiling a bit and rubbing at her eyes. "Now how about you both come down for breakfast okay?" My mum looked back at me, flashing a smile before turning and heading down the stairs, Layla looking over her shoulder at me with a cautious sort of look.

I sighed heavily before following behind, making a face at her earning a little laugh from her. That was a better start. For now anyway. My mum sat Layla down in one of the chairs at the table, putting a bunch of pillows underneath her so she could actually reach, before going to make her a bowl of cereal. I sat down across from her, scratching lightly at my bare chest before just looking at her. By now she had stopped crying and was staring right back at me. It was like I was looking into a mirror, her eyes the exact same as mine. I blinked before looking away towards my mum as she returned with a little bowl for Layla. "There you go hun."

Frowning slightly, I looked at her. "And...where's my food...?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at her. My mum only laughed before setting down the entire box of cereal, a bowl, a spoon, and the milk in front of me. I looked at her in disbelief, my mouth dropping open slightly. She merely shrugged her shoulders with an amused smile, followed by a little giggle from Layla. "Hey, that isn't funny." I pointed my spoon at her, narrowing my eyes a bit only to have her giggle a bit more. A cute, light sound really.  

"Well, I'm going to head to the store. You can handle her can't you?" My mum asked as she moved to the fridge. "Of course you can, she's your daughter." She spoke before I had the chance to answer, smiling at me over her shoulder. "It shouldn't be too hard, I'll only be a few hours. Just make sure you get her dressed, bathed, and ready for the day alright?" I nodded slightly, pouring some cereal into the bowl trying hard not to let it show just how terrifying the idea of a few hours with her was. "And Harry?" My mum asked, getting my attention once more with a small smile.

"Yeah?" I asked, looking at her.

"Don't get worried. You can do it."