seven

In all ways possible after the failed (and fake) double date, Patrick made sure to avoid Nia. He busied himself with work as much as he could, ignoring her phone calls and dodging her text messages. It was all he could really do to keep himself sane. Patrick still loved her. She wasn't his to take anymore, thanks to the wedding band embracing her finger on her left hand. He really did try to hate Ricky, but it was futile.

"So, my mom said that it didn't work out," Daisy says, drawing Patrick out of his thoughts. He blinks at the girl, his brow furrowing with slight confusion. The nasty wave of the failed date hits him. Patrick frowns, shrugging his shoulders quickly before shaking his head to confirm the fact.

"Sorry, kid," he sighs.
"She said you're into someone else," the girl states. Her voice possesses a form of anger— distaste towards the blonde producer. Patrick looks up at the girl again, even more confusion crossing his features. Daisy glares at him. "Are you one of those scum bags that date more than one woman at a time?"

"What? No, Daisy! I don't do that—"
"Are you into someone else? Are you dating someone and didn't bother telling my mom before taking her out?"

Patrick struggles to thread words together for an explanation. He stammers on only a few, inaudible sounds that could form words, but fail to. To some extent, Rose was right. Patrick was still wishing to be beside Nia. It should have been him taking her to brunch every weekend. It should be him taking their small family to the park. It should be him tucking Costello into bed every night. Rose deserved better. So did Daisy.

"Answer me," Daisy snarls, snapping Patrick out of his dazed state. He snaps his attention to the girl, finding her glaring face red and damp with tears. One of her band mates whispers something to her as he grabs her hand, his face a picture of concern.

"Daisy, I-I..." Patrick stammers, unsure how to react to the teenager full of rage.
"Answer me," she repeats. "Because I am sick of seeing her hurt by scum bags who can't choose what to do because they think with the wrong head!"
"Daisy, sweetheart, I would never do that to your mother," Patrick finally says. "I wouldn't do that to anyone."

Daisy swipes at the tears with the heels of her palms, her guitar hanging on her frame by a strap.

"Sorry, Mr. S," Alex says sheepishly. He places his hands on his band mate's shoulders, massaging them comfortingly.
"Yeah, sorry," Daisy mumbles before sniffling to regain composure. "Let's just... start over. From the first track."
"You sure, D?" Alex asks.
"Yeah," Patrick joins in. "We can continue this another time. You seem like something is bothering you. It's hard to create anything when you're in a bad headspace."

The bit of advice leaves a strange texture in Patrick's mouth as he says it to the crying girl.

"I just... sorry," she mumbles. "I found out my father was cheating on my mom. That's why they divorced. And she's had a rough time with scum bags like him."

Though Patrick never got to kindle a spark between him and Rose, he felt his heart plummet for the woman. He didn't have to be in love with her to know that she didn't deserve such maltreatment.

"I'm sorry, Daisy," Patrick says, his voice genuine with sympathy. "I promise you that I would have never done that to your mother. What happened between us was nothing bad. We're just not meant for each other. She's a wonderful person, but we agreed to just try to be friends."

Daisy nods, understanding what he was explaining. She smiles weakly as she rids away the last of her tears. Patrick studies the girl for a moment before continuing to play through the band's tracks for any needed editing.

"No more crying in my studio, alright?" Patrick jokes halfheartedly. The blonde man feigns a stern scowl at the young band. It's enough to make the atmosphere lighter in the small room; Daisy chuckles weakly through sniffles, but it's enough to reassure Patrick.