Preliminaries

Naruto's scream reverberated through the sewer. He could hear the echos down the passages.

Kyuubi laughed. The sound was so terrifying and rumbling it shook the ceiling and brought bits of plaster raining down onto Naruto's messy blonde hair. "You seem so surprised."

"Where the hell am I?" Naruto yelled and scrambled away as far as possible. "The Kyuubi? The Yondaime Hokage killed the Kyuubi the day I was born. What are you a spirit?"

Kyuubi grinned, looking more evil than ever. "No. But I am your worst nightmare."

...

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    

Naruto screamed and bolted upright in his bed. Sweat trailed down his face, and he wiped a shaky hand across his forehead, too stunned to do much else. Two figures, both of which had been conversing quietly in the other side of the room, rushed to his side, evidently worried.

"What's wrong Naruto? Are you feeling alright?" Sakura asked, bending down to check on Naruto's pallid face. "You just fell unconscious while traveling here! We were so worried!"

Naruto stared back at his friends' face like he wasn't seeing anything. He had just learned the truth. Everything. Everything about the Kyuubi, everything that had happened, and how the Kyuubi was very intent on getting out of Naruto as soon as possible, or, if impossible, make his life as miserable as he could.

It seemed like his tongue was malfunctioning for once. They always said he would be talkative till the end, but hey, he was completely shut up this time. If only his instructors from the academy could see him now.

Sasuke and Sakura shared looks. Naruto was in a daze, his eyes glazed and staring at the air in between the three of them. Sasuke left to fetch Kakashi.

Sakura waved her hand in front of his face. "You in there?"

Naruto shook his head like he was trying to shake some bad feeling off. "I just had a nightmare."

"You did?" Sakura searched his face. Since when did happy, preppy Naruto get nightmares? "What was it about?"

The doorknob clicked and the door fell open. "Naruto? Are you up?" Kakashi and Sasuke entered the room. "Sasuke said you were a bit shaken."

"He just had a nightmare," Sakura explained. "About what Naruto? About Orochimaru? It was pretty scary."

"Not about Orochimaru." Naruto rubbed his face with his hand. "It was about the Kyuubi no Yoko, who told me that he is currently inhabiting my stomach and that he hates my parents most in the world for sealing him into me."

Kakashi froze. No way. Did Naruto come into contact with the Kyuubi? The Third told him something like this could happen if Naruto was emotionally distressed, or was in a dangerous situation. Encountering Orochimaru was indeed a dangerous situation, but he heard Naruto was fine during their fight. It was after he moved away from Orochimaru that he fainted.

But crap. Sakura and Sasuke were hearing this, when they shouldn't! First, was Naruto believing this to be the truth? Or was this just a scary nightmare for him?

"Your parents?" Sasuke frowned. "But it was the Fourth Hokage who confronted the Kyuubi and killed him. Why would your parents have anything to do with it?"

"According to the fox, the Fourth Hokage is my father, apparently. Who wants a flasher for a dad?" Naruto closed his eyes and put a hand on his stomach, concentrating.

"This is just a dream." Sakura concluded. "How can there be a demon sealed inside of you? The Yondaime killed it long time ago. He didn't seal it."