Chapter 38 Tense

The doorknob clicked at an unfamiliar frequency to Edward's ears. Was that the resistance of a locked door? Blinking hard, he tried to remember if he had even brought keys this morning. His watch, a now ironic gift from Nate, still read 8:55 so he could conclude he hadn't woken up early and wandered over here by mistake.

Nate walked through the door at 9:30 with a smile and a casual wave. Edward couldn't help but wonder if he was the only one getting a little TLC around these parts. Nah, Nate had his loyalty to his late wife along with his daughter.

"Morning, Nate," Edward said and put down a gray tablet to face his co-worker.

"Good morning, Ed. How's the shop holding up?"

"Little empty without you around. Thought I had sleepwalked here when the door wasn't open."

Nate chuckled. "You didn't burn the place down, so that's a good start."

"This time. Now, should this be a reoccurring theme, we'll have to discuss a salary increase."

"As long as you accept scotch and an old timer's stories."

"Let's start with that story then we'll discuss the scotch."

Nate laughed at Edward's attempt at a stern face. "My daughter has a boyfriend although he's not a boyfriend as much as he's a male companion."

"They have escorts down here?" That would explain a bit; although, he might be running quite a tab with Olivia should that be the case.

"No, that was not one of the chosen career paths for this colony. I meant a friend of the male gender."

"Bummer," Edward said. Nate's face contorted into a frown as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. "For that guy."

The situation had played out more than once for Edward, but friend might have been a strong word. Doormat was more fitting most days. Pay for dinner, stay for the conversation and watch them jump back into bed with exes, liars and/or players.

Mischa hadn't really struck him as that manipulative, but then again he'd been fixated on another woman when they had met.

"He's a nice enough guy," Nate trailed off as he picked up the dead tablet.

"Wrapped around her finger then?"

"The poor fellow doesn't realize what's in store for him. I love my daughter, but she can be quite blind to other people's desires. She listens to him though and he's intelligent, honest, and hard-working. I can't see too much harm coming to her under his influence."

"What's wrong with him in her eyes, all of the above?"

Nate shook his head with a playful frown. "She could come around in time. I think I offended her though."

"Don't feel too bad. Most women seem hard not to offend. It's always something like Ed, 'I like my woman chunky' is not a compliment. Displaying your adult magazines in a wine rack does not make it classy or okay. The opposite sex is a real mystery."

"We'll get back to that wine rack one. But, I might have implied my daughter was promiscuous."

"You called your daughter a ho?"

Nate raised an eyebrow and shook his head. "Not directly. You have to understand coming from my point of view, she's staying over at this boy's dorm. It's like she's gone away to college except we're all here to watch. Am I not supposed to comment on her behaviour?"

"Isn't she a minor? You lay down the law, papa bear. The last thing you need is another mouth to feed a year down the line."

The thought of crying infants scared him. Thank God Olivia was such a stickler for protection. He couldn't imagine even being around her enough to raise a child together. Then again, she'd probably abort it without even telling him. She seemed like that kind of woman.