7 | Lessons (I)

2412, Tull 20, Briss

Last night, Xanthy spent a good hour staring at her hands. Not only was she forced to swallow the fact that she was a fairy, she apparently had a special power that could destroy worlds.

It should have been finished on that. But, apparently, unknown forces were looking for her to use her to wreak havoc. Xanthy slapped her temples in frustration. Questions ran in circles in her mind.

One, how could people be sure that the Virtakios could indeed destroy worlds when they didn't even know what it did? Two, why would people want to wreak havoc? Lastly, three, out of all the unfortunate people in this island, why her?

Xanthy squealed into her pillow. She wanted nothing of this. House! That's all she wanted out of this adventure. That's why she was out here in the Commons and not because she wanted to play hero and save worlds.

What would she even be saving this godsforsaken world from?

House, house. I will get a house when all this was over. She sighed and chanted to herself. But...when would all of this end? Would she even get her house before she turns eighty?

Perhaps, Xanthy should just toss these behind her and remain a weaver forever. That would be the easiest thing to do in this situation. However, what would happen if the enemies find her and make her destroy the world?

She snorted. What if she let them? It would be easier for all of them, wouldn't it?

Then again, Pidmena would make Xanthy crawl in her own guts like a worm in the Land of Wonders in compensation for all the trouble Xanthy would have caused. Xanthy shivered. Oh, okay. Wasting her life as such was not the answer, then.

Xanthy rubbed her face and pinched her ears. Her heart, if possible, thundered louder in her head. If she accepted everything people say about her, about being a fairy and that...special thing, she would have to also accept the fact that she has become one of the creatures she spent a lifetime hating. She would have to become a terror to the Humans. An abomination. An error in the system.

Disgust curled in the pit of her stomach. No. She didn't want anything to do with these creatures. Was there any way to revert back to being a Human?

Xanthy bolted up. That's it! Her eyes widened at the plan developing with every turn of the gears in her mind. She may have giggled menacingly to herself. This was beyond amazing.

If she was going to learn magic from Vikara tomorrow, she would use that chance to find spells to remove her fairy bits and along with it, the destructive magic. She would be human again. And if she's lucky, the Virtakios would go away with it. Absolutely perfect.

That way, Xanthy had tossed and turned in her bed. Her mind whirled with thoughts that made her get only an hour of sleep before a girl sent from Vikara's household came knocking at her door.