Chapter 18: Betrayal

Hope you will like it! 

Sorry for any mistakes! :) Feel free to point out any mistakes! I am not going to bite you if you do! 

Owen's POV

''We should stop this thing already, Alex. It's not working.'' I said to my best friend.

He came to my office an hour ago to discuss something about the new hotel we are going to build. After getting that out of the way I decided it was time to tell him my thoughts about his plan to find evidence. From the start, I told him that it was stupid and it will cause trouble.

''What?'' he asked.

''I can't do it anymore, Alex. I can't pretend to like Nadia. I know this was supposed to be a part of your plan to find out if Evelyn stole money from the company, but I can't do it anymore.'' I said.

I really couldn't. I fell in love with Nadia Williams and I don't regret it. She's the one and only girl for me. She's perfect.

''I love Nadia, Alex. I can't do this to her anymore. I want to be honest with her. She deserves it.'' I told him.

''Are you sure? Months ago you said she had mental problems and now you're telling me that you love her. What has happened that changed your mind?'' Alex asked.

''I got to know her better. She may seem tough and crazy, but in reality, she's fragile. She's a great woman. That's why I need to stop this before she finds out and I lose her forever.''

''Then, go tell her that you love her. After all, I'm close to the truth.''

''What? Did you find anything important?''

''Not yet, but soon. Very soon. I feel it.''

After that, he left, but not before I told him to examine whatever he finds out very well. I tried calling Nadia, but she didn't answer. She was probably too busy. After all, she had told me that these days the cafe was busy and because a waitress was sick, Nadia had to take her place. When I had finished my work, I went to her house. She was there, but something was off. She looked like she was about to cry any minute and that was very odd. It's not often that she cries. Something bad must have happened for her to be so upset. I asked her what was bothering her, but she replied with a nothing. Just tired and sleepy. I really wanted to stay and comfort her, but the way she held herself and her cold attitude towards me were enough signs for me to realize that she wanted to be alone. I'll come again tomorrow morning. She wasn't going anywhere.

How wrong could I be? When I visited her in the morning her landlord said that she left and it seemed for quite some time as she had too many suitcases for a trip for a few days. I won't lie. I panicked. What had happened that made her leave like this? I tried calling her, but her phone was turned off. I was worried and helpless. What if something happened to her? What if she was in the hospital? Different scenarios passed through my mind. One worse than the other. Any moment now I was going to explode from frustration and worry. 

Evelyn. How haven't I thought it before? She was her best friend. She would know where Nadia went. I hurried back to my car and sped off to Alex's house not really caring if I had broken a couple of laws on my way there. I had more important problems to solve. Like where the hell the love of my life is.

Nadia's POV

 Today was the day. Today I'm going to tell Owen that I loved him. I finally found the courage to do it. I can't keep inside me anymore. I went to his office to surprise him. I wanted to invite him for lunch. I was so excited and nervous at the same time. I was about to open the door when I heard Owen's voice.

''I can't do it anymore, Alex. I can't pretend to like Nadia. I know this was supposed to be a part of your plan to find out if Evelyn stole money from the company, but I can't do it anymore.'' he said.

Right there and then I felt my world collapsing. My heart was breaking into million tiny pieces like it was made of glass. All I could hear in my head were his words. Being repeated over and over again. Suddenly I didn't have any energy left. I just wanted to be alone to mourn for my broken trust and heart. I left the building in a hurry before they realized I had heard them. Getting in my apartment I finally broke down. I sobbed, screamed and thrashed around. Anything to get this anger, pain, and feeling of betrayal out of my system. 

Why? What have I done to have such a fate? I never hurt anyone. But this hurts a lot. I can't bear it. Does this pain ever decrease? How could he? I trusted him, but everything was an act. Nothing was real. He must have laughed very much watching me making a fool out of myself.

After a while, there was only a dull pain all over my body. My eyes were red and puffy, my throat was hurting from all the screaming and my heart wanted to fix itself, but no matter what it will never be the same again. Walls around my heart started forming pretty fast. It was once again closed off and this time it will remain like that. I'm not going to let another man in. I have enough pain for a lifetime.

Hours later Evelyn was here telling me her fight with Alexander. No wonder those two are friends. They are both jerks. They only know how to break the heart of a woman not caring about the consequences of their actions. Her idea for a trip was appealing. Eve was right. We needed some time away.  Time to heal. Is that too much to ask? 

We started searching a place that had a beach nearby. Summer was almost here and I really wanted to go swimming. Michael's suggestion for Portugal was great. It was far enough and it had beaches. The perfect destination to forget your problems or in our case the heartbreak. Why couldn't I fall for a guy like Michael? He is sweet, caring and protective. He is the guy every woman wants. However, I had to fall for a jerk like Owen who only cares for himself.

Next morning Michael called Eve and told her that everything had been taken care of. Our flight was on 11 o' clock. I packed my things and I got ready. By the time Michael came to take us, we were both ready. He came at nine thirty as my apartment was located very far from the airport and we didn't want Owen or Alexander coming to my house before we managed to leave. 

At eleven o'clock we were on the plane for Portugal. Michael had promised Eve to come see her this weekend. I was happy for my friend. I knew that she always wanted a sibling and having a brother when she needed him the most was a true blessing. When we arrived at Portugal's airport I swore to forget all my problems and have fun. Too bad that was easier said than done.