Scaly Visit {Adelaide}

One Week Later

"Easy, easy there, Timur. I'm just gonna get those few remnants from your shedding off of you." I tsk while carefully transporting the squirmy leopard gecko to the lab table.

The species has issues with shedding around their toes and legs, so I often have to remove the patches of shed skin so that they don't lose any limbs. I grab a pair of tiny tweezers and sit down on a stool, holding Timur firmly yet delicately. I give his head a couple rubs to calm him before setting to work.

At some point I hear someone enter the room, "Yes?" I ask, expecting it to be a colleague with a question.

"Busy, Miss Adelaide?"

The voice is unmistakable. I nod gently to acknowledge him, "Hello, Sherlock. I'm currently removing a moult. It's calculating work so..."

"I see. Do not mind me then, I need to enter my mind palace anyway."

"Mm." I hear him cross the room and take a seat in my swivel chair at my desk. After that he goes completely silent and I refocus on Timur.

It takes a half hour to finish the delicate process, "There you go, Timur. You're good to go," I smile and gather up the patches of dead skin, "I'll be back shortly, Sherlock." He grunts, his eyes closed and hands together, and then I hurry out to return Timur.

When I return Sherlock hasn't moved, so I quietly clean up the office. He's visited a couple other times this week already and I'm almost starting to adjust to his random appearances. I understand that he comes when he has nothing else to work on, but a heads up would be nice even if he won't give me one.

I go ahead and brew up a couple cuppas, anticipating that he'll come around shortly. Tea is an absolute must when he comes and I learned that fact quickly. Having it ready will keep him happy and somewhat sociable.

I dare to glance at him as the tea steeps. It's amazing how he does that. He always looks like he's in control of anything and everything- so calm and collected. I inhale and finish his cuppa, pushing my comments to the back of my mind. I carry it over and set it down in front of him on the desk as silently as possible.

When he doesn't emerge from his mind palace I roll my lips together and opt to check out the Institute's new pair of Golden Poison Dart Frogs. I write Sherlock a note just in case I'm not here when he does finish thinking and head out.

Fifteen minutes later I get a text from Sherlock, requesting my location. Rather than have him disturb my colleagues I text back, telling him to stay in the office and that I'm on my way.

I return to find Sherlock at the fish tank, looking strangely contemplative. I get a gut feeling and sigh, "If you're thinking about experimenting on the fish, perhaps go do it to the Earth Science's department and not mine?"

He turns his head, "What makes you think I would experiment on your Cichlids?"

"You've got a look on your face that says you're scheming." I reply.

His eyes look over me again and my cheeks flush pink again. Stop!! I try to cool them back down but fail. Sherlock smirks, "Your physical responses are quite interesting to watch, Adelaide."

Great, now he's teasing you!

"W-What do you mean?" Stop stuttering!

"I mean that you're an interesting study."

"Study?"

"Yes," He confirms and then tuts, "I presume that you were the one who made the tea then?"

"Yes, I did."

"For being so shy, you're quick to reach out to others you barely know."

"I suppose so."

Sherlock blinks and refocuses on me, "Do I intimidate you that much, Adelaide?"

"... It's difficult not to be intimidated." It's true, especially when he's deducing me. His eyes seem to cut into me like lasers when he's gleaning everything from my fear of wasps to my love for chocolate. It's paralytic, especially if we're both making eye contact.

He purses his lips, "Hmm. Well then, we must remedy that. Come along." He instructs as he strides past me. My jaw goes slack for a second.

"Where?"

"You have sufficient knowledge of toxic animals. I was just offered a case involving poison from a biological source. Perhaps show me the museum's toxic amphibious residents?"

"O-Of course!" I respond and follow him out before leading him to where we keep most of the poisonous amphibians. He needs this information for a case, so I'll help him out and make sure he doesn't get himself hurt in the process.

Thank you for reading!!