Chapter 22- Frozen

I couldn't move.

Literally.

It was as if my brain had just frozen. I could still see and hear things around me, but I couldn't seem to make my body respond.

Everything in my head seemed to vanish into thin air, letting Conner's words echo through my mind as reality itself started to blur into nothingness.

He didn't just love me, he was in love with me.

I stood there gaping at him, my mouth physically dropped open and unable to do anything but watch as he ran a hand nervously through his hair. His face flushed pink, and he seemed to be looking at everything except me.

But even completely mortified, he kept going.

"Just let me get this out of my system, then you can scream and run away. I just can't stay bottled up forever, or I'm going to explode." He started up with his anxious pacing habit, looking intently at the floor.

"Okay. Here goes nothing." he let out a deep breath, looking on the verge of a mental breakdown.

He didn't so much as glance up to see my reaction, and he didn't stop pacing as he went on. "You were 3, I had just turned 4. My parents moved into the neighborhood to start up a business with my mom's college roommate, aka your mom. We had just rang your doorbell, and I was clutching my mother's leg so tightly that she claimed it turned purple for a few minutes. Your mom answered the door, hugging my parents, and I spotted you right behind her."

He paused his pacing to stare absentmindedly at the ground, his expression softening as he recalled the memory with an unexpected fondness."Your dark hair was in pigtails, and you were wearing that white dress your dad had gotten you for Christmas. You-"

He seemed to snap out of his daze, finally turning to look at me. The distressed, glowing emerald of his irises were changing along with his emotions, transitioning into a soft green that was so light, it would have been considered baby blue from a distance. "You looked like an angel. My own personal angel, sent down from heaven just for me."

He was looking at me with such endearment and fondness, that my cheeks flushed pink and my heart started racing in my chest. And when his lips started to lift into a small half-smile, I was almost certain that I would merely implode from the inside.

The thought that he had remembered us meeting for the first time, an event so obscurely distant that I couldn't even recall it in the slightest, thoroughly fascinated me.

"You remembered that?" I somehow managed to find my voice, but it barely came out as a whisper.

"I don't think I could forget if I wanted to." He chuckled darkly. "In that moment, I had never wanted anyone or anything more. That was the moment I realized that-that you were my forever." He stumbled out as he started walking towards me uncertainly, his usually confident demeanor completely gone without a trace.

And seeing him in such a state of obvious longing and desperation, nearly broke my heart.

I hate to admit it, but my eyes had started to water. I'm such a wuss.

I closed my eyes, ignoring the burn of tears sting my eyes and just listening to the smooth sound of his voice as he approached me.

"And after that, you were even more amazing than I could have imagined. You're smart, funny, a terrible liar, sarcastic, a pathetic athlete, and so incredibly beautiful, and you can't even see it. You're so perfect that sometimes it hurts just looking at you, and I love you so much sometimes that it scares the shit out of me." He broke off, and I heard him stop right in front of me.

He was so close that I could practically feel the heat of his skin on me, making me itch with the urge to reach out and touch him. "And you never told me?" I breathed, my eyes still firmly shut and refusing to release tears.

"I couldn't risk losing you." He said quietly, his warm breath fanning over my lips and making me shiver.

My heart wrenched in my chest. "So what? You were just going to live on as my best friend, watching me eventually get married and start a family with someone else?"

My body jolted as he suddenly reached out a hand to grasp my chin, his thumbs brushing away the tears on my cheeks that had shamefully escaped me. My eyes involuntarily fluttered open, and I found myself greedily drinking in the sight of Conner's familiar, sincere face.

"It would be worth it, as long as I had you, and you were happy."

And that was the moment I realized that I had loved him all along.

Before I could chicken out I grabbed his face firmly in my hands, and roughly pulled his lips to mine, meeting his lips in a shell-shocking kiss that altered the universe and made my brain melt.

--------------------

Awwwwww!!!!!

Sorry it's a little short, and it took me quite a while to write!

Hope its not to cheezy and cliche! But tell me wat ya think!