Chapter 31- The Intruder

I'm not sure how long I have been laying on my bed, staring up my ceiling, but I was pretty sure that it was past midnight by now.

I was wide awake, desperately trying to think about anything and everything other than the recent discovery that my little brother had been keeping something from me.

Conner had long since gone home, and I knew I had little to no chance of getting any sleep tonight.

Sighing in defeat, I grudgingly got to my feet. I stumbled through my dark room, carefully avoiding the partially put away pile of clothes in the middle of my floor.

Let's just say that my lovely boyfriend had distracted me from finishing my chores.

When I got to the hallway, everything was dead quiet, as I would expect it to be at three in the morning.

I couldn't help but glance at Sandy's room, where you could hear soft snoring leaking through his open door.

I was finding it rather hard to believe that such an adorable little boy could actually spy on me.

It had to be some sort of mistake!

Now I could buy the twins doing something like that, but Sandy?

I shook my head, pushing away all thoughts about the subject. I turned my head back around and walked down stairs as quietly as I could.

Meaning that the stairs seemed to creak even louder than usual with each step I took.

I winced when I reached the floor as a particularly long, piercing creak echoing through the dead silent house. I looked back upstairs, but no one seemed to have awakened.

Letting out a breath of relief, I continued to walk to the living room, only to immediately trip on my feet and fall on my face.

Man, Conner was right. I really was a klutz!

I groaned, laying on the ground for a moment.

I've been having a really rough night.

I pulled myself to my feet, making my way to the couch a little more carefully. When I finally managed to sit on the sofa without collapsing again, I relaxed a little and hugged my knees to my chest.

I looked around the dark room, wondering why I had even come downstairs in the first place.

Now what?

I was reaching for the remote when I heard a noise come from the kitchen.

I froze in my tracks, trying to convince myself that I had just imagined it. There's nothing there, there's nothing there, there's no-

My heart started to race as I heard it again. A creaking, sliding noise, coming right from the kitchen.

But the lights were off, and my entire family slept like rocks at night, so they were all still tucked into their beds.

So who was in my house?

When the noise came again, I huddled myself on the sofa, trying to make myself seem as small as possible.

I slowly turned and lifted my head, peeking my head out just enough to get a decent view of the kitchen.

Through the darkness, I could see the window above the sink, slowly opening.

I held back a scream as I realized that someone was definitely breaking into our house.

What the hell do I do now!?

I had left my cellphone upstairs, and the nearest home phone was in the kitchen itself. I could potentially sneak upstairs and wake up the boys and my parents. But if my luck hadn't changed in the past five minutes, I was positive that I would be just as loud if not louder going up the stairs as I had been going down.