Chapter Ten

Chapter Image by the incredible Visenya at The Dark Arts

Chapter Song: Sleeping Sickness by City & Colour

***

Chapter Ten

"Okay," said the Healer in his distinct Wolverhampton accent. "Open your mouth and say 'ahh'."

Harry was sat on the couch in the living room. He'd been ushered into the shower after Lily had called him and Sarah in from the owlery, and was now wearing jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt that fitted him so well it was downright disconcerting. "Ahh," he said, as the Healer lit up his wand and peered down Harry's throat.

"Hmm," he said. Harry wasn't sure what he was looking for, and had a sneaking suspicion neither did Dr Jaisun.

Lily had welcomed him in a little while ago, and described Harry's symptoms as 'amnesia-like' and 'generally confused'. Harry hadn't wanted to go into any more detail, as he was worrying he'd already said too much by divulging to Sarah about his real memories at Hogwarts, so he just played dumb. Without much else to go on, the Healer was just assessing him physically, muttering spells and poking him occasionally with his wand.

Sarah hadn't said anything though, no matter how strange she'd found his confessions. Perhaps if he'd elaborated and told her their parents were supposed to be dead and she never alive in the first place, she might have felt differently. But that's why Harry was now keeping his mouth shut. "It's all a blur," he kept saying as his family watched on from the other sofa. He felt like a science experiment, but at the same time he didn't want them to go anywhere. As weary as he was of them, and whatever their true origin was, this was the closest he'd ever been to meeting his family, so he didn't want to waste a moment out of their company.

Dr Jaisun was making notes and referring to a large, battered book he had pulled out of his satchel. "I have to say," he said, chin resting on his knuckles, eyes still scanning the book. "There's nothing I can see physically wrong with you, aside from a slightly higher amount of transfigural energy."

James Potter raised his eyebrows, and shifted Sarah slightly from where she was perched on his lap. "Could that have been caused by Polyjuice potion?" he asked, echoing Harry's own question about his supposed father.

But the Healer shook his head. "Not at these levels," he said. "And there are no traces of the potion."

"Something else then?" asked Lily.

"Honestly," said Jaisun. "I didn't mean to alarm you. This is definitely your son, and he is fit and healthy. I can't detect that any spells were cast on him in the past twenty four hours, other than the usual household stuff." He slipped his tome back into the bag by his feet and began clicking the clasps shut. "It isn't unusual, however," he added, looking up with a slight wry smile. "For unusually high amounts of alcohol to play tricks on the mind. Your mother mentioned you'd had a good time last night Harry?"

Harry gave a meek shrug, that he hoped conveyed 'maybe', rather than 'I wouldn't know, I was in school at the other end of the country'. James tutted and gave Harry a reproachful look, as Lily accompanied Dr Jaisun to his feet and then out to the front door.

"Some rest in familiar surroundings should start to prompt regular brain function," assured the Healer as Lily opened the door for him. "And some Pepper Up Potion might not go amiss."

"Thank you so much," she told him as he stepped out, and watched until he made it all the way down the driveway so he could apparate away. The second he vanished, the smile dropped and she came storming back into the living room, slamming the door behind her. "Harry James Potter," she snapped, fixing him with a glare. "You should know better than to get yourself into such a state."