Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Image by the incredible Visenya at The Dark Arts

Chapter Song: This Is War by Thirty Seconds To Mars

***

Just a quick author's note: In the following chapter we meet Blaise Zabini. I started this story so long ago (before Order of the Phoenix was released!) that at that point we didn't know if Blaise was a boy or a girl. By the time Half-Blood Prince came out and it was revealed Blaise was a boy, I had already invested quite a lot in my female version of her. As this is a parallel universe, I decided not to change her, so that's why he's a she. I've had a few people ask about it, so I hope that clears things up! Hxxx

***

Chapter Thirty Five

"Draco?" whispered Harry. 

"What in the name of Merlin?" hissed Seamus. 

Hermione's hand groped for Harry's, but he couldn't seem to process anything at all. There were so many people, too many to comprehend, all staring down at the four trembling teenagers flanking Draco Malfoy. And Voldemort, his skull-like face triumphant, Draco's father equally pleased at his side. 

Seamus' head was jerking from one direction to the next, hands in fists, muttering incoherent profanities in Draco's direction. Parvati was frozen stiff, tears threatening to spill from her wide eyes. Hermione squeezed Harry's hand. She was going to die, and it was his fault. 

"What have you done?" Harry breathed, turning to Draco. But he was completely immobile, devoid of emotion, gaze fixed on his father. How could he have been so blind, Harry cursed himself furiously. All those warnings Parvati and Seamus had given him, he'd let his own idealism get in the way; he'd wanted to believe Malfoy could be a better person and he'd led them all to their deaths.  

And Sarah! What had happened to her, where was she? He was never going to get to her now, would she even ever know he tried? 

No one was speaking. Lucius Malfoy appeared to be enjoying himself, but finally broke the silence with a raised eyebrow. "Your companions don't seem very happy Draco?" he commented nonchalantly. Draco didn't flinch a muscle. 

"No," he said simply. "They never suspected a thing." 

"Oh yes we bloody did!" cried Seamus, lunging for Draco. Harry darted in to pull him off; they were so hopelessly outnumbered picking a fight would be suicide. Though as Seamus backed away, Harry lamented maybe dying sooner rather than later would be preferable. He clicked his jaw together and pushed the thought away. There was still time to try and escape, it wasn't over yet.  

Lucius laughed softly to himself, readjusting his grip on the cane he was holding in front of him. The silver knob was covered in entwined serpents, the base ending in a wicked looking metallic tip. "You've done very well son."  

The vile sense of betrayal Harry was feeling for Draco at that moment exceeded any previous animosity he had ever had for him before. It was one thing to hate someone who had always been a selfish, cowardly glory hunter, but to have built up his trust like that, formed a connection like that? Was his mother even dead wondered Harry bitterly. 

"I knew it," Parvati was whispering, clinging onto Seamus. "I knew it, I knew it." 

"I dare say," Lucius continued, ignoring everyone except his son. "That this will indeed redeem you for that embarrassing scene you made before you left. Your mother's death was tragic, but she would be proud to see you returned to us today." 

Harry saw Draco jerk almost unnoticeably, more of a spasm than anything else. He didn't reply, just nodded curtly. 

Voldemort took a graceful step down from the plinth they were on, the woman by his side eying him greedily. Harry had a vague recollection of Sirius saying her name was Bellatrix, something to do with Neville's parents, but he couldn't remember with everything assaulting his senses like they were. "It was a bold venture you proposed to us, young Malfoy," said Voldemort, hands grasped in front of his body. His voice was silky smooth, like a snake gliding on grass. It brought chills to Harry's spine, transporting him straight back to that night in the graveyard when Cedric had died.