Chapter Forty Two

Chapter Forty Two

It took quite some convincing to get the Grangers to sit down in their living room, let alone listen to what Remus had to say, and when they did finally listen, they didn't take too kindly to his opening gambit of "congratulations, your daughter's a witch." 

But when Harry gave Hermione his wand and got her to perform several different spells, they lost their words all together. Remus and Draco both looked on impressed as she levitated all the ornamental plates with kittens painted on them around the room. Harry couldn't blame them, even he was proud of how fast she was able to pick up the magic. 

They started by covering the basics - how Hermione could be born to two Muggle parents (what Muggles were) and why she hadn't been called to school. Then came the tricky subject of Voldemort and the war, and then finally the even trickier matter of what had gone on last night.  

Mrs Granger was furious with everybody, at Remus for letting Hermione go, at Hermione for going, and at Harry for dragging her into it in the first place. At this point Harry started to get nervous she or her husband, or even Remus, would start to question how he and Hermione knew each other, when Mr Granger did just that. 

"So how did you find yourself at our house last night again Harry?" 

"He saw me on the news," said Hermione quickly, and repeated the story they had told Draco back in the underground tunnel.  

"I was planning on going and finding her for a while," said Harry, getting into the lie. "But the night before, I was attacked and I realised I had to stop putting it off. It just seemed so unfair she didn't know who she was I decided to go find her." He tried to look sheepish. "I know it was probably illegal or whatever, but I got so wound up by the injustice of it all." 

He cautiously looked at the faces staring back at him; Hermione beamed approvingly, which was a good sign. Her dad smiled too. "Well you're right," he said, putting his arm around his daughter. "It was very unfair." 

"So," said her mother, rubbing her eyes tiredly. "You're telling me you don't know that bully Dominic Webber at all, that you wanted to tell Hermione she's really a witch?" 

"Mrs Granger," said Harry, as vigorously as his weary voice would manage. "If I were ever to meet that Webber idiot or any of his friends, I promise I would turn them all into toads. Old school style." 

This seemed to warm Hermione's mum to him somewhat. They talked for another half an hour or so, before Hermione actually fell asleep on her dad's shoulder, clutching onto her old key again. "Maybe we should continue this another time," said Remus upon noticing. Harry and Draco joined him in standing and thanking the Grangers for their understanding. Mrs Granger's face suggested she had absolutely not forgiven them for letting Hermione go all the way to Germany to fight a hoard of crazy wizards, but at least she remained civil. Harry knew she had a point, he just hoped she didn't go too hard on Hermione for it. 

Sensing their movement, Hermione stirred from her dozing. "You're leaving?" she asked, getting quickly up and blinking her eyes. 

"You need to sleep," Harry told her gently.  

"But what about...you know?" Harry did know, how could he forget? But he was pretty sure he'd still be in the wrong universe eight hours from now, and she looked beyond exhausted. 

"We can deal with it later," he said, giving her a hug. He was certain Mrs Granger made a tutting noise but Harry ignored her. They made their goodbyes, and once more Harry, Draco and Remus were out in the cold, walking their way back to the Floo station.  

Draco hadn't spoken much at the Grangers, and now he looked lost in thought, a small frown creasing his brow as he stared at the grey pavement they were travelling on. Harry wished he could guess what was going on in his head, but he honestly couldn't say. 

As they made their way back through the town more and more Muggles were crowding the streets, bags filled with early Christmas presents, bored children swinging on their parents' hands. Nobody noticed the three of them slipping into the Floo station. 

The elderly guard presented Harry with his satellite dish, complete with an elaborate red bow, which Harry took with a smile. "Such an honour," the guard kept saying to himself, shaking Harry's hand again. 

As they stepped up to the fireplace, Draco finally spoke. "I think I'm going to go back to the manor," he said. "Back home." His hands were in his pockets again, and he seemed to have trouble lifting his gaze from the floor. Remus paused, hand full of Floo powder. 

"Yes," he said eventually. "Yes of course. If you need anything, anything at all just let us know." Draco nodded, and managed a small smile before his eyes turned to Harry. Remus looked at Harry too. "I'll just...give you two a minute then, shall I?" And without another word he flung the powder into the grate and disappeared into the flames. 

The guard was sat back at his desk, the Daily Prophet with Harry's picture on the cover propped up in front of him, but his eyes were clearly peering over the top, watching the two boys down the length of the shop. Harry shifted the weight of the dish onto his hip. His arm was still aching a bit from the break he'd had earlier and holding an 8lb hunk of metal wasn't helping. 

"Thank you," said Draco, looking at his scuffed up shoes. Harry gave up and put the dish down. 

"Oh," he said, suddenly feeling awkward. "Y'know - no problem." This made Draco look up, one eyebrow arched. 

"No problem?" he repeated, pulling his hands from his pockets and holding them up at his sides. "You just...you...you were there weren't you!" he said, and much to Harry's surprise a light, relieved laugh escaped his throat. "That man had so much to pay for, and now he has, they all have. Because of you!" 

"Because of us," said Harry pointedly, then rubbed the back of his neck. "I've got to be honest Draco, I never thought I'd see the day when we'd be on the same side. Of anything." 

"Me neither," he said with a shrug. "If I'm honest, I always thought you were a vindictive, glory-hunting elitist." 

Harry couldn't help but smile. "Funny, that's exactly what I thought about you." 

"Well," said Draco, wrapping his arms around himself and pulling half a smile. "I guess you've found your glory now. You know I heard some of the Ministry guys calling you 'The Boy That Lived?' You've got a title and everything." 

"You're a hero!" cried the guard from his chair. Harry had quite forgotten he was there, and when he blinked and looked over the man suddenly got shy and hid totally behind his newspaper.  

Draco shook off Harry's other coat and gave it back to him. "I guess I'd better get going," he said, fishing out some Floo powder from the pot on the mantel. "I think I'm going to go sleep for a week." 

It was Harry's turn to laugh. "Good plan." And then without even pausing to consider it, Harry reached out and gave Draco Malfoy a hug, just like he would have done to Ron. His arms were already around him when Harry became aware of how abnormal the action was, when Draco returned the embrace. 

"I'll...see you around?" he said, letting go after a few seconds. There was something cautiously hopeful in his tone, and Harry realised that if this was what Draco Malfoy could be like, he actually wouldn't mind seeing him again either. He nodded, and Draco threw the powder into the fire. 

"Take care," said Harry as he stepped into the flames, and with a nod of the head he was gone.