jane

They say opposites attract: that was definitely the case between my best (or should I say ex) best friend, Amanda. Not only was Amanda and I different in looks, but social status in high school as well: her serving as miss popular and well me—not so much. Maybe that was why were grew apart over the past two months. Being without Amanda made me wonder how and why we continued being friends when we were on opposites ends of a spectrum. Maybe because we just understood each other in a way and always had our shoulder out to for the other to cry on, but that didn't matter now.

So why do I still feel like something is missing?

At school, no matter the situation was, I avoided Amanda at all costs. I didn't dare want to bump into her because I couldn't bare to look her in the eye. It may seem silly and childish, but I figure that's what all freshman girls do whenever they split with their once close friend. I didn't care, I had my eyes set on getting good enough grades to get myself into college one that will be far away from this place— away from Amanda: three years couldn't come any faster.

I snatched my backpack from the chair and hopped down the stairs one by one. My parents were in the kitchen waiting for me with a large bowl of oatmeal and fresh boiled eggs. My mom used to make that for me everyday when I was younger, so seeing that breakfast now made me think something was up.

"Jane, sweetheart, you know your bother is coming today?"

There it was. My brother, Alec, who hasn't kept in touch for a while was in college living his life away from us. The thought of him finally coming home had always been in the back of my mind since summer, but I never would admit it.

"No I forgot," I answer looking between the both of them.

A lie.

"Oh," my mom sounded disappointed, "well I hope you find time for him in your busy schedule. You know he isn't home often." She added the last part looking right at me, making sure I knew how important it was to make time for my brother.

I held back the gigantic eye roll I wanted to give my parents. Oh please, I bet he doesn't even miss us.

"Come on," I said laughing bitterly. "I don't have any schedule. I have no friends so I have nothing else to do."

I do have one other friend, but I wanted to emphasize my point.

"Maybe you should befriend Amanda again Jane," my dad said from behind his newspaper.

I shake my head. Nope, not happening. "She probably already has another best friend."

It hurt to say that, but I swallowed the pain through my oatmeal.

"How do you know?" I see his curious eyes peak above the top of the paper.

"She's popular," I stated as if it wasn't obvious already. "Every girl in our school wants to be her best friend."

This time, my dad shook his head. "You two had something special, no girl can fill that space in Amanda like you did."

I was starting at my oatmeal the entire time, taking interest in the spoon as it went around in a circle. "Well it seems that special something is now gone."

I didn't want to hear any more advice my parents had to give so I grabbed my bag and walked straight out the door yelling a goodbye. By the time I reached the bus stop, I realized I hadn't asked my dad for a ride. I was so distracted by our conversation that I completely forgot about it. I slapped my forehead and turned on my heel to leave; I still had plenty of time left to get to school.

A familiar voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Jane! Where are you going?" It was Zeke, the only other friend I had besides. . . the one who shall not be named at this point.